Prairie dog sisters have come to town

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Hakaman wrote:Put a few of those Eley's thru em.
Haka
That is most likely going to have to wait until it gets warmer, like MAY.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:49 pm

That is most likely going to have to wait until it gets warmer, like MAY.
Awe c'mon, show some game !
Haka

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

3 Dog Town

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

I received notification yesterday that my three prairie dawgs are on their way to me from wherever it was I bought them. I was going to get them from one of the on-line suppliers, and then I thought I would check good ole e-bay. Saw some for $19 and made a bid. Ended up paying some shipping and got them for 25$ About 10 dollars cheaper than my original look up cost. Now, I just need this snow (threat of later today) and 12 degree night time temperatures to go away so I can take them shooting. I would have to put little ear muffs on them. There is still the small matter that they aren't here yet, but they should be in the next day or two. Mine are all black, but as Old Man says, a little ACE day-glo will fix that. Actually mine is a little more day-glo pink than orange. Never really cared for Tennessee any way. :? I would rather shoot my metal spinners, but you got do what you gotta do. :cry: TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25 am

where do you take your dawgs to shoot? down here in paradise, (north of detroit) it would have to be to the gun range. We have hanging steel target in various shapes to shoot at, lots of fun. Nothing like shooting a prairie dog though.
H

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 am

Hakaman wrote:where do you take your dawgs to shoot? down here in paradise, (north of detroit) it would have to be to the gun range. We have hanging steel target in various shapes to shoot at, lots of fun. Nothing like shooting a prairie dog though.
H
At one of the clubs that I belong to,, either of them re less than 15 minutes away, one West and one East. West club is shotgun only and the other has 7, 25, 50 and 100 yard target placements. Looks like maybe later in the week it will go above freezing and we may be able to take the ladies out and shoot at them with the Nylon 66, called Nyla.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:59 am

Came home from work the day after my last post, and the PDs were leaning against the garage door courtesy of USPS. They are all set and ready to go, but it is going to have to warm up 30-40 degrees before I head off 35 miles to the DNR outdoor range. Only place I have around me where I can use them. DNR won't let me use my metal spinners, so I do shoot them occasionally on USFS land that is not in the state's WMS.

I am looking forward to getting a chance to make them dance and spin. Should be great sport and more fun, or at least a change of pace, from shooting paper targets. :D TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am

TB, you will have fun, but they need to be named. Well, it is supposed to get above freezing about mid week and the ladies have not yet been to the range, just sitting ther with there bran sparkling new coat of orange paint, waiting to dance. Luckily the range ei is to 15 minutes away so even a short range session is fun due the short drive of less than 8 miles. Old Petey is ready to retire to hanging on the wall but first he wants to take on TAZ and the .38 Special 158's.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 am

BAOM, I went to an indoor range for an hour or so yesterday to exercise my Brownings. All did well, especially the Buckmark. I guess it was trying to keep up a good appearance for the Medalist and Challenger II.

But I may have made a bad error in judgement when I was leaving. The range also sells guns and I made the mistake of handling a CZ 452. I have this awful ( :roll: ) feeling I may have to bring it home with me. Help! TB
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 am

Don't ask him to help you avoid buying a gun. :lol:

452's have a rep of being pretty good. If the price were right....

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 am

greener wrote:Don't ask him to help you avoid buying a gun. :lol:

452's have a rep of being pretty good. If the price were right....
Don't ask me either, I am no help. Can.t even stop myself from buying one, and why should I ? Never did shoot s CZ but I did ride a couple of them about, damn thats a lot of years ago, 30+ years. Understand they build a fine rifle, but look at th Savage MarkIIG, very nice gun, accurate and low cost.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

* Do not purchase guns on a whim.
* Comparison shop and buy only the guns you need.
* Create a budget. Add up the total dollar amount of the guns you want to purchase
and see if the total fits into your budget, and if it doesn't,
just buy the guns that you absolutely need.
* Stay out of stores, gun shops, ranges and other places that entice you to spend.
* Refuse to be swayed by fancy advertising ploys. Just because a gun is on sale
does not mean that you just absolutely have to have it.
* The main point is to plan your purchases and stay with the plan.
*Lastly, forget the above advice and just buy it.

Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Got to agree with that last statement , signed Skipalong Hoppity.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:12 am

Hakaman wrote:* Do not purchase guns on a whim.
Haka
Sometimes a Whimis all you need!!!!! I just happened upon a Beautiful S&W 10-6 nickled 4" bbl 38spl for A wicked good price (250) just out browsing the other day. now I've wanted one for a while noe (just like my grand pappy's, well a lot like grand paws with a better finish and pachymar grips) the price was so nice I laid out some cash for them to hold it for me, going to pick it up Wednesday I think....some of the best guns are bought on a whim

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 am

A whim is all you ever need. If I didn't buy guns on a whim I probably would have a lot less than i do now. Can't ever remember leaving the house intending to find a gun t buy. Stop by my normal shop every week or two as I have foe many years and if something catches my eye I take a look at it nd ask what my price is, lots of times after i get home I call them and tell them to set it aside and I will pick it up in a few days,

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 am

I want to look at the Savage MK-II G [is that the one with the wood stock?], but I can't find one anywhere in my area. Dicks doesn't have any. And the guy I talked to there didn't even know what the Acu trigger was. The other Dicks closer to my house is a small store and doesn't carry much of anything. Besides, their sales policy is a POS because the still put you through the BG check wait even when you have a Ga. Firearms license, aka CCP). BassPro unfortunately, doesn't seem to be smart enough to put any in stock. They had the camo pattern w/scope in .17hmr back around Christmas, but will not order the same in .22 LR. Or any other model in .22 LR for that matter. That really ticks me off. I will check around a bit more, but I still like Hakkaman's advice and plan to follow it very closely. :lol: TB
Tigerbeetle