Greetings

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:57 pm

We've got a lot of "seasoned" folks here so let's see if one of you can decipher the hidden meaning behind this picture based on the overall theme of this thread.
I see two themes going on here. One, it is happy new year, and the other, talking about buying another gun. Hmmm? I can say this, this guy needs a new set of trousers, if I were caught in them I'd probably need that new gun for protection. He is also wearing a black hat = bad guy. My take on what the picture says, "this guy needs a new pair of pants, a new gun to protect himself if he doesn't get the pants, and seeing it's the new year, he better go rob another bank so's he can afford them there pants.
Wild Bill Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:02 pm

He really should load that gun, an empty gun and a rock have the same effectiveness, but the rock is cheaper. And he lost a glove.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:05 pm

very observant OM, I should hire you as a body guard.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 am

He became famous, way back when, as a "good guy" who wore all black. Surely some of the older gents knows who this is...

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 am

Bullseye wrote:He became famous, way back when, as a "good guy" who wore all black. Surely some of the older gents knows who this is...

R,
Bullseye
I knew it was Hopp, I thought you were looking for something else, good guys do wear black, but his gun is not loaded. Even found out where you got the picture.. Remember him on the Saturday afternoon movies when I was maybe 10 yer old and the dmisssion fee was $0.12 for under 12 years. Image

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 am

Yes, that's him. I thought I do a little play on words for the thread's theme - "Hoppy New Year!" Corny, I know, but I really wanted to add a little levity here.

Hopalong Cassidy was a little before my time but I knew some of the more experienced folks here would remember who he was. I even learned a few things I didn't know about him when I was researching for the picture. Things I didn't know like, the first metal lunch box ever licensed with a character's likeness was one with a picture of Hopalong Cassidy on it and it was a huge seller for Aladdin in the 1950's. I didn't know that Robert Mitchum got his big break in the acting business by playing parts in "Hoppy" movies. Looks like he made wearing one glove famous long before Michael Jackson ever thought of it.

His gun in the picture was unloaded, and if you look real close you can even see the bore is restricted to reduce the blast effect.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Those pants are something else, but then how would I know what color they were. Don't ever remember anything other than B&W flicks. I do remember the Lunch boxes, 1950 was the year I graduated from High School. Yes, I think I do slightly remember Robert Mitchum. I think Hoppy was on a TV series too, but that was long before color came out. There are a few things that I can remember before WWII, but just little bits and pieces.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Pretty good memory Len, "In 1950, Hopalong Cassidy was featured on the first lunch box to bear an image, causing sales for Aladdin Industries to jump from 50,000 units to 600,000 units in just one year." (quoted from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopalong_Cassidy) Here's a little more on the Hoppy lunch box http://www.lunchboxpad.com/home/history ... 59-1.shtml

Robert Mitchum was in seven Hoppy movies: http://www.hopalong.com/hoppyfaq.htm

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Bullseye wrote:Pretty good memory Len, "In 1950, Hopalong Cassidy was featured on the first lunch box to bear an image, causing sales for Aladdin Industries to jump from 50,000 units to 600,000 units in just one year." (quoted from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopalong_Cassidy) Here's a little more on the Hoppy lunch box http://www.lunchboxpad.com/home/history ... 59-1.shtml

Robert Mitchum was in seven Hoppy movies: http://www.hopalong.com/hoppyfaq.htm

R,
Bullseye
Can still remember Saturday afternoons during WWII watching the double feature at the local movie house about 3 blocks from my house. There were a lot of little neighborhood theaters in those day, probably 3 or 4 within 6 to 8 blocks from my home.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Can still remember Saturdy afternnons during WWII watching th double feature at the locl movie hous about 3 blocks from my house. There were a lot of little neighborhood theaters in those day, probably 3 or 4 within 6 to 8 blocks from my home.
Seriously, what a contrast of life style from those days compared to now. Do you think that Hop Along used his cell phone for texting?
Hakalong Cassidy (does have a certain ring to it!)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Can still remember Saturday afternoons during WWII watching the double feature at the local movie house about 3 blocks from my house. There were a lot of little neighborhood theaters in those day, probably 3 or 4 within 6 to 8 blocks from my home.
My Dad used to tell me the same kind of stories about his days as a youth. They'd spend all day at the movies on Saturday's watching the serials, either that or playing baseball down at the sandlot. I can't remember what he said it cost back then but it was on the order of a dime or a quarter - I'll have to ask him the next time I give him a call. It's all relative, each generation has their own thing, my group used to do movies, watch TV, and later hang out at the mall. Kids today text each other, hang out, and play video games online.

R,
Bullseye
Hakalong Cassidy (does have a certain ring to it!)
That's funny!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Another good guy that wore black

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Somebody was using that shot for their avatar here on Guntalk-online.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Bullseye wrote:Somebody was using that shot for their avatar here on Guntalk-online.

R,
Bullseye
The old western channel on Dish Network has been running his old shows all day, must have been late 60's early 70's TV.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Actually, I like wearing black, I think it looks sharp. Not necessarily the pants hopalong had on, though.
H