Open Carry

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Open Carry

Post by Hakaman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

Hello all,
"The group Michigan Open Carry is to hold a picnic Saturday to raise awareness about open carry of a firearm in the state, according to a news release. The event, which is open to the public, is to be at noon at Macomb Corners Park on 25 Mile east of Luchtman Road"
Taken from an article in the Detroit Free Press Tuesday 8-11.
I'll be there, hope you all can make it too.
Walt
Secretary
Detroit Sportsmen's Congress
Here's a chance for any Michiganders to take part in a "Open Carry" picnic (and whoever might be passing thru). The thought of open carry is interesting indeed, sort of "Wild West" ish. Do you have any comments on Open Carry?
Haka

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Open carry is good for showing the public that guns don't just jump out of holsters and start shooting, but I wouldn't OC for my every day carry, because it gives up the "SURPRISE!" factor of CC.
More of a political statement and public affirmation of rights than a SD plan. Not to say OC can't provide defense, an incident where a replica .45colt single action being OC'd Darwined an inept armed robber comes to mind.

The best OC events I've heard of were public service oriented, like adopt-a-highway or similar. This event seems to lack the public service aspect, but should be a good example of a boring day with guns, totally unlike the movies or idiot-box show.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Open carry is good for showing the public that guns don't just jump out of holsters and start shooting, but I wouldn't OC for my every day carry, because it gives up the "SURPRISE!" factor of CC.
Definitely want that SURPRISE element on my side. In Michigan it is technically legal to open carry, but you will get a lot of LEU attention. If you have a Michigan CPL you are require to keep it out of sight if my memory from my classes is correct. I have seen on the news where at some of these open carry meeting they Cart openly an unloaded gun, might better Cart an aluminum softball be, it has more effect than throwing an unloaded gun at someone, other opinions may vary, but that is mine.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I wish open carry was legal in Texas, for those hot summer days. But I do not think I would open carry, I like the surprise factor to be on my side.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:06 pm

I also think the surprise element is important. Besides, open carry attracts a lot of unwanted attention. Open carry is legal in my state but there is also something called creating public terror that can get kind of hairy if someone sees the weapon and screams or something.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I like the comments made so far, good points! I agree with all of them, but wouldn't be nice to open carry every once in a while just to show off your gun? If I open carried, I'd have to get a holster for "character display", something black because my S&W has black Houge grips. Like this "graveyard rig":
http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/produ ... veyard.htm
"Wild Tom Haka"

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Open carry is legal in Virginia. You can even show up at city/county council meetings packing. Can't do concealed carry in a restaurant where alcohol is served, but open carry is ok.

Virginia's most active pro gun group.

http://www.vcdl.org/

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Hakaman wrote:wouldn't be nice to open carry every once in a while just to show off your gun? If I open carried, I'd have to get a holster for "character display"
I can kill two birds with one post here.
http://www.examiner.com/x-3253-Minneapo ... p-a-gunman

1-the perfect OC rig is shown in the picture accompanying this article, it is called a bridgeport rig, and apparently is a replica of a genuine "wild west" bit of hardware.
Video of the bridgeport rig in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSFHQ-3Jic

2- the article is a good account of how even with OC, the element of surprise can still be there. I don't know what sort of idiot it takes to pass a big ol' single action .45colt on the way to commit armed robbery at the counter, but apparently it happened.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:54 pm

1-the perfect OC rig is shown in the picture accompanying this article, it is called a bridgeport rig, and apparently is a replica of a genuine "wild west" bit of hardware.
I could see someone having a hard time getting a gun out of that slide holster while in a rush or panic. It's pretty unique and cool, but, I like my "graveyard holster" the best.
"Wild Tom Haka"