Need some help?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Need some help?

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:26 pm

In my S&W 9mm, there is a 2" length, and 1/8" wide, in a rifling slot that I can not get clean. Upon further inspection, it appears it may be inherant to the method this barrel was rifled? It is at the muzzle end of the barrel, and appears to be dark in color, an upon inspection of the attached pictures, it looks like it is the result of the machining technique. I have used "Shooter's Choice" , and RB17 firearm bore cleaners, to no avail. It doesn't appear to be any copper/lead build up. I haven't been shooting any lead, just FMJ ammo such as Remington UMC, and CCI Blazer 9mm. Any suggestions or advice. I was thinking of sending the barrel back to S&W? What do you think?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageImageImage
Down, but not out, Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 pm

It does appear that one of the cutting tool heads were dull....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Call S&W. They will probably want you to send the gun back. You might email them and send pics of the barrel. If you email them, the response will be "used attached shipping instructions and send the gun and mags back to us."

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm

That rough patch is from the rifling broach. Obviously one of the cutters was dull or chipped. You should contact S&W about it and see what they recommend, especially since this is a new pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 pm

What are the odds they are going fulfill my request (sending a barrel to me without the defective one). This is the letter, with photos attached, and my request. Read on:

Dear S&W,
I just purchased a brand new S&W M&P Pro 9mm handgun from a local gun shop (see attached files). After shooting 150 rds of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr ammo, I did a thorough inspection by means of field stripping the gun. Everything looked ok until I got to the barrel. I noticed, what appeared to be some dirt build up at the muzzle end of the gun. I new it couldn't be lead because of the ammo I was shooting. I tried cleaning the area with a bristle brush and "Shooter's Choice" gun cleaner and conditioner. It did not work. Upon further inspection (see attaced photo files) I noticed that the bore was poorly machined, and the defective appearance is a result of this sub-standard machining. I have only had this gun since 12/28/2009, and this is the findings of the 1st field stripping after the gun was shot. If you look at the pictures I have attached, you will see the poor machining that was done on this barrel.
I own another S&W gun, a 686-6" revolver, that I also had to send in right after I purchased it due to a defective "firing pin bushing". Not a great problem, but one in which I was without my brand new revolver for a couple of weeks. This makes two for two, for S&W. I own a Beretta, Kahr, Taurus, two Rugers, Sig, and a Glock, none of which have been sent back for repairs. Two Smiths, and both are back for repairs ??? The reason I buy Smiths is because of the good reputation that is assumed, I hope I don't have to reconsider this. I feel, under the circumstances, and the photos attached, I should recieve a barrel for my M&P Pro with full confidence that you will receive the defective barrel back and the photos tell an accurate story. Please leave a contact ph # for further conversation as/per your desire.
Signed, Hakaman

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Have I mentioned before that I like the Glock better then the Smith?
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 pm

There's a necessity to fit the new barrel to the pistol as these are not drop in parts. You'll probably receive a call tag to send the pistol back to S&W for repair.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:30 am

Plus, if I were the one sending someone out a brand new barrel I would want it in my hot little hand to inspect it before I sent out an expensive part on the word of a letter of someone I do not know.... nothing against Haka its just better buisness sense. If I ran a TV store I would not send someone a brand new big screen on their word it was defective and with them promissing to send the "bad" one back to me afer they get the new one.....

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

letter

Post by Pete D. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 am

Generally good letter. Suggestion: A rule of thumb about complaint letters - don't supply unnecessary info. You could delete a bit.
I own another S&W gun, a 686-6" revolver, that I also had to send in right after I purchased it due to a defective "firing pin bushing". Not a great problem, but one in which I was without my brand new revolver for a couple of weeks. This makes two for two, for S&W. I own a Beretta, Kahr, Taurus, two Rugers, Sig, and a Glock, none of which have been sent back for repairs. Two Smiths, and both are back for repairs ???
That all could be gone.
All true but has nothing to do with the problem at hand. (And a lot to do with the fact that you are justifiably angry).
Pete

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:51 am

Generally good letter. Suggestion: A rule of thumb about complaint letters - don't supply unnecessary info. You could delete a bit.
There's a necessity to fit the new barrel to the pistol as these are not drop in parts. You'll probably receive a call tag to send the pistol back to S&W for repair.
R,
Bullseye
Plus, if I were the one sending someone out a brand new barrel I would want it in my hot little hand to inspect it before I sent out an expensive part
All good points, and points I thought about before I sent it. I was a little peeved, because it is two for two in returns to Smith. Each return was at about the same length of time after I purchased. Why S&W? Besides, I want them to know I am not satisfied. The reference to other manf's is a little overdone, but, wth. As long as they fix it, which I expect them to do.
H

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 am

Just got off the ph with S&W, and they took all the info. Just as BE said, they need the gun to fit the barrel. A plus about this, they check the whole gun out. A negative about this, got to send the gun in for a couple weeks. I guess it will give me time to get acquainted with my Glock.
H (nothing ever goes right for me) :(

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 am

Hakaman wrote:Just got off the ph with S&W, and they took all the info. Just as BE said, they need the gun to fit the barrel. A plus about this, they check the whole gun out. A negative about this, got to send the gun in for a couple weeks. I guess it will give me time to get acquainted with my Glock.
H (nothing ever goes right for me) :(
Hang in there Glockalong, been thinking of changing my name to Skipalong Hoppity?how's that ring?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 am

Glad to here that S&W is going to take care of the problem.
H (nothing ever goes right for me) Sad
If you did hot have any Bad Luck you would not have any luck at all. But you did have some good luck. S&W is taking care of the problem. :lol:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Hang in there Glockalong, been thinking of changing my name to Skipalong Hoppity?how's that ring?
Weeell, since this is my 500th post, it must hold some significant value? maybe. If I am Glockalong, you have to be "Skipalong". That's my final answer.
G
Glad to here that S&W is going to take care of the problem.
If you did hot have any Bad Luck you would not have any luck at all. But you did have some good luck. S&W is taking care of the problem. Laughing
I guess one must look at the glass half full sometimes.
G

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Well now you must be Glockalong because you cannot be Smithalong for a while (hopefully not a long while). They'll take good care of you Smith dislikes returns almost as much as you do. They get a lot of good sales by word of mouth and unfortunately a bad word goes a lot farther than the good ones.

R,
Bullseye