Thoughts on Yukon Firefall 12 - 36 x 50mm Spotting Scope?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Nick

Thoughts on Yukon Firefall 12 - 36 x 50mm Spotting Scope?

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Any reason not to buy this badboy for bullseye shooting? Looks good on paper and is relative cheap at $80.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Great if you have a pistol box. Easy to see targets and spot holes with a scope mounted inside your box. Gil Hebard sells a nice little flip up rail mount.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm

My Cabela's flyer just listed something similar for $39.95....

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am

I picked this thing up and finally got it to the range last night. It's my first and only scope, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really like it so far. Zooming all the way in to 36x magnification just fits all the rings of a B-8 (timed & rapid fire @ 25 yds) target, and .22 holes are crisp and clearly visible. You can get a bigger lens, but the 50mm version I got gathers enough light to see clearly in my dimly-lit indoor range.

It's light and comes with a little tripod that seems flimsy compared to my camera tripods, but in practice it locked up tight and didn't move. It's just slightly wider than a factory hard case/lock box and fits into the unused slot of my two-gun range bag.

FWIW, I'd recommend it based on my experience so far.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 22, 2010 5:38 pm

50mm is plenty of lens for a pistol scope. I have no problems getting in enough light through that sized lens in my Bushnell Sentry even when I'm indoors.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 am

Negitive would be its size, you need a sherpa to tote that thing to range.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

scope

Post by Pete D. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 am

For Bullseye shooting, that should be plenty.
Suggestion: use the lowest power that will allow you to make out the holes. I use 24X for 100+ yard scoping outdoors. Indoors, I use 10 or less.
You always get the same amount of light through the lens under a given circumstance. Larger images mean that the light is "stretched"/thinned out over a greater area. So....a smaller image will be brighter. Clarity is a trade off between size and brightness.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark