Ssssssssssssssssssss---CLANK!

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Ssssssssssssssssssss---CLANK!

Post by Downeaster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

:D

.22 CB Shorts out of Henry VIII. Shooting at the bottom of a 10" aluminum pot hung on a fence post about 100 feet away. Had to aim at or slightly above the top to hit the bottom, and the CLANK! of the bullet hitting the pot made more noise than the gun going off.

pop...ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...CLANK! Giggle, repeat... :D

Hey, I'm easily amused, and I don't often get a chance to shoot in my back yard...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Ssssssssssssssssssss---CLANK!

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Downeaster wrote::D

.22 CB Shorts out of Henry VIII. Shooting at the bottom of a 10" aluminum pot hung on a fence post about 100 feet away. Had to aim at or slightly above the top to hit the bottom, and the CLANK! of the bullet hitting the pot made more noise than the gun going off.

pop...ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...CLANK! Giggle, repeat... :D

Hey, I'm easily amused, and I don't often get a chance to shoot in my back yard...
Will they feed through the magazine or did you have to single load them?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 pm

They feed fine. A little fussy about ejecting, it helps to tilt the ejection port down. If it's perfectly level or a little counter clockwise, they tend to stovepipe.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:32 pm

My Henry lever carbine feeds and ejects shorts like it was designed to run them.

I'll have to take that toy to the range next time I destroy a pot (MrsBFD was going to check @ Goodwill today), easier to clean and more fun to shoot than the 10/22 anyway!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 pm

That sounds like fun. I will have to setup some old pots and pans this summer while I'm house setting this summer for my dad. But I will use my MKIII for the gun :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

blue68f100 wrote:That sounds like fun. I will have to setup some old pots and pans this summer while I'm house setting this summer for my dad. But I will use my MKIII for the gun :D
Did that with my MKII after field-stripping it and giving it a deep cleaning. With LR ammo, of course. Pretty loud, but I can get away with a mag full every once in a while.

Single fed some Shorts just to see what would happen, it wouldn't even cycle the bolt far enough to stovepipe them. I was afraid of boogering up the chamber, so I only fired 3.

Probably not a good idea to run 'em through the Single Six for the same reason. Might have to rummage around the pawnshops and see if I can find an old H&R or something that I can run shorts through. Lotta fun, fer sure.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Had a good day shooting outdoors today, we only put up two paper targets, shooting at the old soup-pot from last time and a banged-up wok was far too much fun.

Reliable hits on a 10" wok at 25 yards is pretty good for a carry 1911, right? It was amazingly easy to hit the swinging wok with the Henry, although the wind made for a challenge.

I had a few failures to load with the Henry and some cheap Winchester 555 pack ammo, might have been an incomplete stroke of the lever or it might have been ammo related. I need more shorts now, I shot up pretty much every one I had, and the noise they make is exactly as you described it, Downeaster.
Far too much fun, a nice break after shooting noisy stuff.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:29 am

bigfatdave wrote:My Henry lever carbine feeds and ejects shorts like it was designed to run them.

I'll have to take that toy to the range next time I destroy a pot (MrsBFD was going to check @ Goodwill today), easier to clean and more fun to shoot than the 10/22 anyway!
I agree. I have never shot the longs or shorts in my Henry because they are never available in bulk around here. (read cheap)
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.