Collection complete

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Collection complete

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't feel the need to make a list of the handguns I own right now, but I feel I have all the weapons I need or want. I have gotten to the point where I want to learn how to use what I have efficiently, and feel like the spectrum of gun types is more then sufficient. On the same note, every hg I have, I'm glad I have, and each serve a unique function, whether it is SD, shooting enjoyment, or both. I feel I have made good purchases, and don't regret any of them. With all that being said, my two favorite shooting hg's are, coincidentally, S&W. I'm sure there are many fine guns out there of better quality, but of what I have, the Smith's are my favorite. They are the 357 mag 686-6 6" barrel, and my M&P pro 5"barrel. Both are sweet shooters to me, and I'm not the most accurate shooter to begin with. I had some trigger work done on the 686, and it shoots well. The M&P is a naturally good shooter, at least in my op.
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Features/0908/Ftr0908.html
I wonder if everybody has a favorite gun amongst their collection that they like to shoot the best?
Haka

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Well, ummmmm...My first thought was OF COURSE!

Then I tried to pick one.

I've been pretty selective about my purchases and currently have what I consider a nice collection. Nothing outstanding, and certainly nothing collectible, but all good quality, solid, dependable pieces. I can't think of any I'd willingly part with.

At the moment I'm shooting my Sigs the most, but that's probably because they're the most recent and the "shine" hasn't worn off yet. I'm thinking my next trip to the "range" (okay...gravel pit...) will center around wheel guns as I haven't shot any of mine lately.

I've just spent the last 5 minutes staring at the screen and thinking about it, and I don't think I could even rank them in any particular order, much less pick out a favorite. Some are treasured because of who gave them to me, others because they feel so good in my hand, at least one just because it's so dang pretty, another because it shoots so well, etc, etc.

Sorta like trying to pick out a "favorite" grandkid. Can't be done... :D
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

The 686 has some nice things going for it. Being a revolver, I don't have to chase the brass all over the place. It has a certain appeal to it because of the fact that it is a S&W, and a revolver. I reload the 38sp, and it seems like one of the easiest to reload for some reason, and I shoot gentle target loads in it.
Just a fun gun to shoot, and accurate. I don't have any children or grandchildren, so I guess guns are the next best thing?
H

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:14 pm

My favorite may be my Smith & Wesson Military and Police, pre 1930, .38 special revolver.

Other than that, I have a bunch of favorites. Sometimes it comes down to the one I'm shooting. I still have to work out which one is best. Maybe one I have or the next one, what-ever that one happens to be.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:17 pm

did they make guns way back in the 1930's?
lol

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Right now it's a 6" S&W model 66-1..

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Hakaman wrote:did they make guns way back in the 1930's?
lol
I have an Iver Johnson made in 1915
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Hakaman wrote:did they make guns way back in the 1930's?
lol
I forgot.. 1889 S&W New Departure "Lemon Squeezer" .38 S&W. Notice, it's double action only !!!

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

They sort of look like this

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

The oldest gun I have would be the Mosin Nagant. I have to look to be sure, but I think the early '40's ?
H

ps...did you guys buy them S&W's new?

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Hak
You mentioning the S&W 686 brings back ole memories. The second hg I ever owned was a 686. It was fun to shoot, but it was one that Smith had built with a firing pin hole that was too large. Magnum loads would swell the primer back into that hole and make rotating the cylinder to the next round, nearly impossible. 38s and lightly loaded 357 mag rounds shot just fine. Smith did a recall on those that were effected, but I didn't send mine back. I kept procrasting until someone (I can't remember who now) got it from me. I still think about that gun from time to time, but I doubt I will ever get another one. I'm just not a revolver fan these days, but hey, who knows, I might get the bug for a hog leg once again.

As far as my favorite hg now...well, I can't say which it would be. Guess that's what happens when you have more than one hg.

One last comment before I move on. Just like you have mentioned in the OP, I have at times reached that limit as to the guns I have wanted, then.....another just seems to come along and I decided I need it too. It's a curse...lol

Y

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Smith had built with a firing pin hole that was too large
That's strange, 'cause I had to send mine back because they misdrilled the firing pin bushing. I was told by a gunsmith that if I shot magnums with it the casing could "extrude" back into the partially drilled hole. I posted on this forum with pictures about this incident, somewhere.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm

This one is older than me by a litle. Very advanced for its time as it had a floating firing pin. There add stated you could hanmmer on the hammer and it would not fire due to the interlock?Image

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm

You guys got some old guns ! :crazy eyes:
I bet they're not your self defense guns though.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Hakaman wrote:You guys got some old guns ! :crazy eyes:
I bet they're not your self defense guns though.
That old Iver does shoot but I do not sahoot it much, the trigger is horrible. SD gun is an SA Micro with 230 grain Hydrasoks, cocked and locked and ready to rock at any and all times.