Any Air Rifle Shooters?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Aaaah yeeees, lessons learned by doing are remembered for a loooooong time, pain has a way of sealing a memory.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Yup, air rifle and air pistol shooter here.... both guns purchased in 1984, RWS Model 75 Recoilless air rifle, and RWS Model 6G Recoilless pistol (may have been 1986 for this pistol, memory grows dim)......

I have thousands of rounds through the rifle, and hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through the pistol, all in a home-grown, indoor range....

Both are still in service, the rifle broke its mainspring once and so did the pistol...cost about $150 each to get them repaired and returned, shooting like new... best shooting bargains I ever made.

And now, I've got a spanking new IZH Baikal air pistol on its way, and I've removed the scope from the rifle and re-installed irons.... to see if there is any possible way I can still accomplish a very likely hopeless task, to earn the EIC Distinguished Rifleman's Badge I gave up on decades ago...... I'm shooting a post front sight on the old rifle and .... doin' not bad, not bad...... now let's see: where did I put that Bushmaster address?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:33 am

Back eons ago when my off-hand shooting was abysmal, I took up smallbore rifle and that really picked up my scores. Since air rifle is basically the same thing I suspect if you put enough time in you can do the same for yours. Off-hand and the long line are where the matches are won and lost.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:46 pm

I'd hate to be a squirrel in your sights, you look pretty good!

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Bullseye wrote:Back eons ago when my off-hand shooting was abysmal, I took up smallbore rifle and that really picked up my scores. Since air rifle is basically the same thing I suspect if you put enough time in you can do the same for yours. Off-hand and the long line are where the matches are won and lost.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks, I've shot my 1813 in a 4-position, any sight gallery league for years, plus the Bullseye Pistol .22 which we just started several years ago. One of my big problems will be sitting rapid, because -- using the excuse of being old and stiff -- I've shot two kneelings in gallery for years. Working on it now; I have a hippie friend who's into yoga, and I'll enlist her support.... but I think I'm seeing the air rifle front sight okay, at least at 30m indoor. I'll ramp up my indoor practice with the air gun, shoot the league using all four positions, and scratch me up a Bushmaster and some brass somehow.....

There's a big offhand service rifle match every year in Washington State; Paul Bunyon Rifle Club, I believe....if I can get geared up for that, and shoot it, that oughta be the real test.....

Bullseye: two questions.... would the "leg" I earned in 1989 at the Sixth Army Reserve Championships still exist? Be on file somewhere? Also, how ancient was the oldest guy you know to "leg out?" I need encouragement, yeah! Lol.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 am

cousin jack wrote:Bullseye: two questions.... would the "leg" I earned in 1989 at the Sixth Army Reserve Championships still exist? Be on file somewhere? Also, how ancient was the oldest guy you know to "leg out?" I need encouragement, yeah! Lol.....
Yes, the then ODCM (now CMP) has records of all legs earned in sanctioned Excellence-in-Competition matches. All military matches were recorded with the DCM as each service had to report their EIC-LEG results. Back then, the DCM was managed under the Deparment of the Army and headed by an Army Colonel. The CMP has detailed records and maintains a list of all Distinguished shooters on their website. You can contact them at [email protected] and make an inquiry about your points. If you still have a copy of the match results that can help too. I know I had sent some info request to them via email in the 1990's they maintain an administrative competitions office at Camp Perry, Ohio.

I've seen quite a few "seasoned" citizens earn their Distinguished badges. In pistol the oldest was 76, he had earned his first badge in the early 1960's. I've seen several people in their late 60's go out in service rifle. It's a lot more challenging at an advanced age but is attainable with a positive attitude. With age, comes maturity and lots of patience which are both good qualities in competition.

Sitting position can be difficult for older folks but you can modify the position to a "Figure 4" style (with ankles either crossed or uncrossed) instead of crossing your legs directly underneath your body. The legs are extended outward at approx. 30° to 40° relative to the target. Place your front elbow in the pocket formed alongside the top knee for stability in this position. For a wider (more stable base), bring your underneath ankle up about mid calf of the top leg. This will create another knee pocket in the other leg for your rear elbow to sit. Be sure to unlatch and loosen any belts you're wearing and the top button (or snap) on your trousers, or you will see a pronounced pulse in your body from the main aortic artery being constricted in your trunk by your clothing. Don't be afraid to "cant" your rifle outward from your position for ease of use. This will require some extra windage in the opposite direction of the "cant" to center up on the target but will induce much less body strain in your position. I generally see adding 1.5 to 2 minutes of opposite windage to counter the amount rifle "cant" in the sitting position for folks I'm coaching.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:53 am

Does it ever! You, sir, are a treasure! I'm on my way......

(shot my first "sitting" last night in five years (!).... only an "88" but the last five were tens....found that position you're describing kind of naturally!) Had to be helped up, of course!

Thanks again, Bullseye.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 am

No problem! I'm all about the shooting. Go out and practice that position and as it get's more familiar your scores will rise. It will never be comfortable but you will grow accustomed to it and then it'll become more natural.

R,
Bullseye