Any Air Rifle Shooters?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Any Air Rifle Shooters?

Post by KAZ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I've been shooting rimfire benchrest on the USBR targets at 50 yards at the range, and wanted to be able to get in some practice in my backyard with a 25 yard range. My air rifle is a Feinwerkbau 300S (in 177 cal) and the USBR target has proved to be a challenge. The FWB 300S shoots at 600 fps and you do have to allow for the wind. My best so far is 237/250, I'll be doing OK and then drop one out just like with the 22RF at 50 yds. The good news is that I get to shoot all the time with no travel, and the best pellets are $12 for a tin of 500. Regards
One of my targets
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I have enjoyed air rifles since I was a child, and have owned most of the major brands and designs at one time or another.

My introduction to precision airguns can in my 20's, with a Gamo underlever air pistol that was outstandingly accurate, though less powerful than the american-made air pistols that I had used before. At first I missed the extra power, but I soon came to appreciate how much more important accuracy really is.

Later I purchased a Beeman R-1 rifle that was select for accuracy, and was very happy to see power and accuracy in the same air rifle.

Most of my use of air guns has been associated with hunting small game. My most memorable hunt was for Quail, using a Sheridan air rifle in .20 caliber. I would flush the quail, see where they went to ground, and stalk them for a shot at them as they paced to and fro upon the ground, just prior to exploding into flight again.

My hunting companion called the Sheridan the "ash can launcher" due to the shape of the pellets, but I noted that he didn't bag any quail on that hunt, and I got three with the Sheridan. The Sheridan pellets are deadly to small game, and I also did a little better at stalking and taking snap shots, I believe.

I have always dreamed of owning a quality target airgun like the pictured in the original post here, but have not done so, so far. It sure looks like a lot of fun!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 pm

The best thing about them is you can set up a nice range in your garage or back yard with little effort. I shoot a lot of air pistol but not too much rifle. It is great practice for standing slow fire. Builds great stamina for shooting positions.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I still have my Sheridan Blue Streak (5mm, 20 cal) from when I was 9, so it's almost 50 yrs old now. It still has the original seals in it too. My brother had to have his re-sealed about 10 yrs ago. We also have a Crossman 177/BB air pistol that has Patient Pending on it, it still shoots too. None of these are bullseye guns but they still drop the furry tail rats when needed and don't alert the neighbors. Which would not be a problem with them because they have target practice too. :D

They are a lot cheap to shoot with pellets only costing $9/500
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

I've been running with an RWS model 36, and since I scoped it recently it has seen some increased action. While not in the same league as FWB, it seems to hold it own...within reason. Then again I also got it for a song and a dance, they must have liked my legs. LOL.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am

I'm not surprised to find many also enjoying air guns. I had drifted away for almost a decade and I'm glad that I'm shooting them again.
Welcome Charles to GT, you have a great collection, and that R1 is one I would love to shoot.
Bullseye, I'm trying to acquire a Beeman P1 to get in some pistol practice on my little backyard range.
blue, that Blue Streak is a cult classic. When the Eley Black Box Match 22RF ammo which was already painful at $1,000 a case went to $1150 I to like the fact that the best 177 cal is sub $100 for 5000 8)
Tbag, I've been looking at the RWS 36, and have only heard great things from the post of owners.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Kaz,

I have the P1 and it is great for pistol practice. Nothing like using the 1911 grip in air pistol practice to build stamina for bullseye pistol. Great for days when you don't have time to run to the range, just go out back and pop off some pellets.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am

Bullseye, I'm glad to hear that you have a P1, I just bought one which I won't have until next week. I'm really looking forward to shooting the P1 on my backyard range! Regards

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Gamo Bigcat

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:38 am

I got my first Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for my 5th birthday. Wore one out a year until I got to be 10 and started carrying a .22. I bought Gamo BigCat about a year and a half ago, but the trigger was a PITA. Finally, 6 weeks ago I put a Charliethetuna G3 trigger in it. OMG, it was like shooting my Medalist or CZ. The trigger made it an entirely different gun. My accuracy is tremendously better. I put a Simmons 4x 22Mag scope on it and now I am beginning to really keep them in the center at 67 feet, well, that is how far it is from my back door to my Kevlar backboard on the wood fence. :) It really is good for practicing and it keeps the starling population under a modicum of control. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 am

TB, I have to ask you a question about that Daisy. Did you ever fire it without closing the lever to see what would happen?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am

TB, I have to ask you a question about that Daisy. Did you ever fire it without closing the lever to see what would happen?
Your cruel! Try it and you'll have the stinging fingers to prove it.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh, Yeah!! When I was 5, I had to brace the stock on the ground between my feet in order to cock the BB gun. It was later when I was probably 7 that I managed to pull the trigger with the lever open. Last time I did that. That is like getting your thumb in the open bolt on a Remington or Browning A-Five and dropping the bolt. It is far worse than an M-1 thumb :cry:

It was amazing how good a shot you could become with those little ole BB guns. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Not so cruel Bullseye! When I run across someone that had one as a youngster I always ask them the question. I had my learning experience when I was around the same age as TB, and I still remember it well these 60 years later. I thought that my fingers were broken right across the knuckles. :oops: Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:23 pm

I didn't really believe you meant it in a nasty way. I learned my lesson on a daisy air rifle (non-BB gun but similar model to the Red Ryder model). When that cocking lever popped home it hurt so bad I was seeing colors. :shock:

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:19 pm

No problem Bullseye, I took it the way you meant. In my experience the BB rifle wasn't even mine, and belonged to one of my pals. I lusted for one and my Father was against them as he felt that boys got in trouble with them because they didn't respect them. My disappointment quickly subsided when he said that he would buy me my own Remington bolt action 22RF repeater. Of course, it came with full military style (Dad was a First Sargent) training on safety/marksmanship which served me well. Regards