You Can Only Have One

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

You Can Only Have One

Post by KAZ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Our own Yleefox posed the really tough choice just when we were all struggling to respond to ruger22s demand that we pick five. I have no doubt that I would as a last resort keep my CZ 452 16" threaded barrel that I have lots of spares, accessories,ammo in stock to support. It would not be out of the question to put this small 22Rf into hunting,defense roles as required. It has a quality scope in place, and other optics as well, and precision shots are easy. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:04 pm

No brainer: 12ga shotgun.

00 buck for hunting/defense, slugs for big critters, birdshot for little 'uns.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks Kaz for making the effort to ask the question.

It is a tough question because of all the variables that are not covered such as why only one weapon. Where in the world one might be located. Survival, defense, fun, etc. Lenght of time you might be engaged in these activities, especially survival or defense.

I considered the 12 ga like Downeaster suggested, but ammo is heavy and bulky, and the range is very short. I also considered the 10-22 Ruger because the report is very low, recoil virtually doesn't exist, ammo is cheap, light, and compact, but as a defensive round, it leaves a lot to be desired. I finally decided that the AR-15 is my choice. Relatively light in weight, accurate, reasonably effective as a defense round, capable of taking big game (with accurate shot placement), and small game with the same consideration to avoid excessive destruction of meat, fairly long range, ammo is fairly light and compact allowing the carrying of a considerable amount. Very fast follow up shots and the ability to quickly reload assuming spare magazines. Equipped with a short barrel and a collasping stock, somewhat concealable. Kind of a Jack of all Trades, Master on None in my opinion. Of course, if it's just for fun, give me a 1911.

Yleefox

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm

My choice was based on the assumption that it would fit my location and my circumstances. If I were in the Great Plains, that would obviously change. In the puckerbrush I have to hunt in, a 12ga is plenty.

Yer right about the ammo tho.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:46 pm

DE, hard to argue with a 12 Ga for certain. My "Bump in the night" go to is an 870 with a very bright light. However, like bearandoldman I do confess to a very large stock of 22Rf ammo 8) Regards

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:06 pm

I got a round or two of .22lr tucked away myself. :D

And, ummmm, lemme see here...1,2,3,4...5...6...ummmmm 7 dispensers for it.

Not that I like .22's or anything... :mrgreen:

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 pm

They make .22/410's, but I don't recall a .22/12 ga. Think if I went for one, it would be a 12 ga. Second choice would be a .22.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

one

Post by Pete D. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 am

One gun? It would - almost certainly - be a muzzleloader, a flintlock....probably a 20 ga. Fowler.
If not a MLer, definitely a pump 12 gauge. Ithaca 37.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:28 am

One gun, huh? I guess it would be a stainless .357 Blackhawk with at least a nine inch barrel, but currently only comes in a 6.5 inch barrel. A little custom work here.

A stainless Bisley Hunter model Blackhawk in .357 with a nine inch barrel and a good scope would be great, but that's nowhere near being in Ruger's catalog!

I'm thinking a survival-type capability, too. My one gun and the ammo are easily portable, reasonably concealable, and effective on any size game or BG at 0-100 yards. The .357 gives you several ammo options, as well.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 pm

OK, I did consider my Marlin 1894 357 mag as it for sure would do the SD/hunting role very well. I did not think about my 50 cal muzzle loader, but I could keep it going for a long time. It's clear that for any of this group to somehow be down to one it would be a last ditch survival situation. Then we would need to try a gather up as a team with everyone contributing the necessary mix LOL. Thought provoking ideas. Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Marlin 1894 .38/.357, deimitely one to keep for all arounf use. Got one of thme and it shoots good to.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Only One

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I would have to choose a German four-barrel rifle.

Side by side 12 gauge with a 30 caliber on the bottom and a 22 caliber on the top. Awesome guns and not really all that heavy. No where near as heavy as my Virgin Valley 300 magnum.

I know, I know... it is "cheating", BUT the weapon exists and therefore I invoke my ever diminishing personal rights to choose it ;-)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Gang, I do believe that AH has trumped us all, and would be welcomed when he appeared with this German 4 barrel. I would even turn over some of my 22RF stash 8)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Mine is the venerable 1911. It is always my go-to gun and the one I feel most comfortable in varying conditions.

R,
Bullseye

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

four barrels

Post by Pete D. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:32 am

I would have to choose a German four-barrel rifle.
Those four barreled weapons are called "Vierlings". The only picture that I have seen of one showed a SXS 12 ga. with a rifle barrel below the SXS barrel where the under rib would be and a second, larger bore, rifle barrel below that.
I have seen schematic illustrations of other configurations - O/Us with a rifle barrel on each side and SXSs with the rifled barrels above and below.

Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark