Are you sure it isn't loaded?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Are you sure it isn't loaded?

Post by greener » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 am

Virginia gun shows do not allow you to bring loaded weapons into the show. You can't bring filled magazines. They pay police to examine weapons and use a plastic tie to disable the firearm.

Guy brought a pocket .380 into the Richmond show today. The police sent him away because there was a bullet in the barrel. If you pulled the slide back and looked, you saw no bullet. The bullet in the barrel was a .32 or .25 cartridge stuck about halfway down the barrel. I punched it out with the screwdiver on my Swiss Army Knife. It would have been interesting if you checked the receiver, loaded and fired the weapon.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:15 am

Another case of ensuring the ammo you load into the mag is the correct caliber. That guy probably has another pistol chambered in the other cal and misloaded the mag. Nice of you to lend an assist to a fellow shooter.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Along the same lines don't shoot someone else's gun until you check the load yourself. I made that mistake not long ago with a new then son in law. He kept coming over and wanted me to shoot his new .40 caliber Taurus double action. So I went over finally and he said it was loaded and ready to go. He said there's one in the camber. I pulled trigger and nothing. I waited about a minute and pulled the trigger the second time and it fired. I knew something was wrong then. I dropped the mag and locked the slide back. Here he had loaded 9mm in a .40cal pistol.

After chewing on him real good for that mistake I had to apologize later because I didn't check the load myself. He still hasn't gone shooting with me since that happen. Oh well I just can stand being stupid with a gun.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Baldy wrote: Oh well I just can stand being stupid with a gun.
Not against the law, but it could have serious consequences. :lol:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 am

My Brother in law did that a few years back in his burrito 96.... the 9mm case expanded nicely to 10mm in width, and the shot was not that accurate. at least with the pressure in the chamber won't get to high as there is no resistance with the bullet in the barrel as you have about 1mm to spare.

dacaur

Post by dacaur » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:53 am

My brother loaded a 5.56 round in his AK mag last month.... he was loading his AR-15 mags in the same spot as his AK mags, and happened to dump a box of 7.62x39 on top of a bunch of 5.56x45..... he loaded about 3 before he realized his mistake, took them out, and finished loading with 7.62x39.... apparently though, he missed one....

7.62x39, 5.56x45 fired in an AK-47, 5.56x45