Air pistol for bullseye practice...

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Air pistol for bullseye practice...

Post by cousin jack » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm a (cough) older shooter, and was primarily a rifle shooter at that... But our local rimfire range has lost its rifle league team because of the lack of participants, I think because competitive rifle has become so expensive.

Our pistol league, however, is going strong. I'm currently shooting a Ruger 22/45 (disconnector mod, VQ accurizing kit) with a Millet Red Dot, and thinking about a Marvel conversion for the 1911/Clark slide/Ultra Dot wadcutter gun I bought used for this coming outdoor season. I'm in the 256-265 range, and working hard to switch over from long to short guns.

I practice SF a lot at home with an old RWS 5G recoiless air pistol, but the trigger reach is long for my hand and can't be shortened. I think I need another air gun for home practice..... anybody got any suggestions for using an air pistol for bullseye practice?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Welcome CJ. You might take a look at the Beeman P1. It is German quality and is very accurate, and has a sweet trigger. It is aimed at the target market of 45 shooters. Same grip angle as the 45, and in fact uses the same grips. They have excellent iron sights, and are grooved for optics. Still in production, and will last for ever in that they are so well made. Single shot and easy to cock. I believe that our own BULLSEYE also uses one to practice. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks, KAZ...... yes, I was looking at one of those.... Anybody have a suggestion where to get one?

BTW, sir, thank you for your service. I was in the Army at PhuBai, RVN, and spent my time surrounded by Concertina wire ...and U.S. Marines! Been grateful ever since!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes indeed, I have one of these in my collection for target practice. They were a lot less expensive back when I got mine. Look around for the best deal you can but $480 looks like it may be the going rate looking around the web.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:50 pm

CJ, if, I were going to buy new I would go here http://www.pyramydair.com/p/beeman-p1-air-pistol.shtml

sometimes the discount code winter2010 works for 10% but, you lose the free shipping :roll:

I have bought my two used from Gun Broker from $275 to $325 so if you can find one from a good seller they are very reliable. Regards

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Another option is these training laser by LaserLyte. They use an inertia switch to blink the laser on your target giving you feedback. The Target is new so I have not checked it out yet. This way your using the exact same gun your using in competition.

http://laserlyte.com/Laser_Training_Sys ... index.html
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:06 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Another option is these training laser by LaserLyte. They use an inertia switch to blink the laser on your target giving you feedback. The Target is new so I have not checked it out yet. This way your using the exact same gun your using in competition.

http://laserlyte.com/Laser_Training_Sys ... index.html
Thanks Blue....

These are interesting, but... if you're using a red-dot, can you see the laser "flash" or hit long enough for it register it in your mind? Can you see it long enough to maybe call your shot and mark it down on a paper target back on your "firing" line?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:06 am

I have only used the universal with my Sig 229 which does not have a red dot on it. It stays on long enough to see where you hit, black targets work best. The high reflective one that comes with it is good for longer distances and is plenty bright enough to use outdoors. The laser is bright enough you can bore sight a gun out to 100 yrds using the special reflective target. I used my LaserLyte to bore sight my QS so Yes it will show through a red dot scope just fine. The blink stays on for about a second, hard to measure and will show any movement.

The target is interesting item, new, have not seen one yet. It records your shots, then you can display them, if you can hit the replay bullseye :D If you watch the short video it show how long the laser blinks.

Midway has put the universal on sale from time to time for around $60. I have not noticed if they have the pro model or the newer snap caps. The snap caps would make it easy to do draw practice and malfunction drills.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 pm

I dug every thing out to test it with a red dot. What I discovered is that it Can/will Hide the laser beam flash. This is really dominate if the brightness is turned up and your hitting the bullseye covered with the dot. So if your using a red dot sight this may not be for you unless you get the LaserLyte target to go with it. But if you don't see the flash your on target.
David

Custom Built 1911

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Well, I want that P-1, but, I'm a retired educator and that 400 plus gives me a bit of a pause... fixed income, you know.

Midway now has a Gamo Compact match air pistol on clearance for about $150.... read some good reviews on it, but it doesn't look like it can be scoped. Has anyone here had experience with the Gamo pistols? Price is right.

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:57 am

Well, I found a Baikal match air pistol on sale (quite a bit cheaper than the P-1). It's got good reviews, and I ordered a red dot mount for it...... Hopefully, it will bring up my slow fire scores, which are my Achilles heel right now! Thanks everyone, for your help....... (I may also order one of the Laserlyte setups to dri-fire with my wadcutter gun; again, thanks for all the help.)

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:15 am

CJ, does the one you bought look like this (46M)? The 46M is a great shooter with an excellent trigger. I'm glad that you passed on the Compact. I had one and it never locked up the same when you cocked it. Regards

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 am

Yup, that's it....... got it at Pryamid. Quite a few people on another forum, Target Talk, recommended training for bullseye with this pistol; claimed it was one of the best bangs for the buck one could obtain. Claimed it was 95% of the high priced, Olympic guns. Have you ever had to change the seals on yours? I'm looking for some instructions on how to do it.... The gun comes with an extra set, so maybe the manual will show how to do it.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Two things that you will discover about these fine pistols. One is that there is little/no recoil. 2nd it is a big/long pistol. There are two seals that need to be watched. One is on the air port that goes down into the valve. The other is on the breech lever that you close to fire. They just press fit and are esy to change. In fact sometimes they will come out on their own which you will discover when it will not seal. Easy enough to replace if you can find the one that is missing or, have the spare. Remember to leave it with the breech unsealed as that seems to help. The compressed air has a fair moisture content and sometimes the valve the factory uses will fail. Tim at MAC1 will replace the valve with a stainless version with a special seal that he will guarantee forever so shoot the pistol with no fear, and if the valve ever does fail (some never fail)then send it to Tim instead of dealing with the factory. Regards
https://mac1airgunstore.com/product_inf ... adc2aa56e9 [/url]