Break Free

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Break Free

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

How do you clean and lube your firearms?
Read this:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 pm

CLP and Hoppes are my two main commercial cleaners. Now if I am going to store one for a while I use Museum Wax on it. A little of this goes a long way and does a fine job... :)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=236/ ... ER__POLISH

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 am

I keep the bluing touched up with Super Blue, and a coat of Hoppe's oil in the bore. They're wiped down with one of the silicone gun cloths, and stored in treated gun socks. My lock boxes, etc. are in a closet which is backed by our chimney, so little problem with cool or humid there.

The worst thing I do, my one rifle is in a gunsock, but then it's in a foam lined nylon case. That's hung between the side closet wall and a heavy coat, to hide it. The foam case is not good storage, so I take it out for some "air" every week or so.

All the guns are going on two and a half years old, and no problem of any kind yet. I think keeping them in the living area of the house is the best thing I do.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

When I store my guns I use a Syn oil on the bores and past wax on the exterior. Then it to the Silicone gun socks for storage. My main cleaning solvents are Hoppers and CLP. For lubrication I use Syn oil and grease.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jrayb95

Post by jrayb95 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I use G66 on everything. When I made a move from Missouri to Colorado I sprayed my hand guns and long guns with G66 and wrapped them in newspapers and boxed the up. When I unboxed them about 6 years later they were just like I packed them. Works for me.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 am

I have been using CLP for a couple years now and am very happy with it. When I first bought it I did a little test my self, I used a piece of scrap steel from my high school machining class. I cleaned the piece of steel with break cleaner and a paper towel, then wiped it down with a normal thin layer of CLP and put it outside. It was during the end of winter and the temperatures varied between about 30-45 degrees. The piece was left outside for two weeks and got rained on for about five days. After two weeks the metal had no rust and I figured that was good enough for me, so it protects from rust pretty well. It cleans pretty good to but I think there a better cleaners. As far as being a good lube it seems to work fine, but I'm not really sure how you can tell if a lube is not working properly, my gun function reliably so I guess that means it doing ok.

judgepw

Breakfree

Post by judgepw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I've used Breakfree for many years. If I'm gonna' store a gun (weeks, months or years) I just douse it inside and out with the stuff after a shower with Gunscrubber. I let it sit and drain overnight, wipe off the excess and put it away. Before I got my large safe, I just stored then in a large closet with the cases OPEN or unzipped all the way. I live in Houston and it doesn't get much more humid than here. We also have large temperature variations from day to day...35* to 75* is not uncommon. The stuff works great. Any gunsmith will tell you most people use too much oil and it damages the gun in the long run. Breakfree "dries" leaving a film, but not wet like oil. Great stuff.
judgepw
Southeast Texas