My shooting range

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:14 pm

N ice looking club. little Greener, got to get some pics of mine.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm

BG, that looks like a nice range. When I viewed the rifle range during HP shooting it reminded me of where I shoot. I find it amazing (crazy) how SR shooters wear a shooting "coat" during the hottest time of the year. What a bunch of idiots !!! Wait a minute, I'm one of them? :oops: I'm the guy in the league that brings the scoring average down for the whole league. Oh well, somebody has to come in last.
Haka

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 am

Ranges, ranges.....hummm. I used to shoot at a very nice outdoor range and it was a member only range, but the membership fee was reasonable and it was fairly easy to join. It had a pistol range, 300 yd rifle, silhouette range, archery range, shotgun, and plinking range. Gradually the controlling members changed and the annual dues increased to the point that it was way outside my budget. They also made joining much more difficult, with lots of hoops to jump through. I gave that one up and started shooting at a public range in the National Forest. Three hour round trip drive reduced my shooting frequency to around once every three or four months. I then started shooting at an indoor range that was reasonably priced, but is intended for handguns and pistol caliber rifles. I love to shoot rifles almost as much as handguns. These days I shoot at an outdoor range that is owned and operated by the county government. Very reasonable fees, RSO always on duty, well controlled enviourment, and nicely maintained. Range distances of 7yds to 100yds. My only complaint is the short 100yd rifle range. They consider this range to be a county park. It is very busy and my understanding is that it is the only park in the county that pays for itself. It was built to NRA specs and with grant money to boot. Too bad more local governments do not provide a safe and controlled place for people to practice with their firearms.

Yleefox

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm

out by the area I work there is a DNR range, concrete shooting benches but it is onlt 50yds or so and about 30 yards from the road. free to the public and open to all, funny thing is we never get called down there for "issues". it seems there, like most places where everybody has a gun, people ten to be polite to each other. "an armed society is a polite society" Heinlin said and I for one believe it. where else but a shooting range do complete strangers ask if you want to try their toys out? you don't see car guys do that at car shows "take my corvette for a spin!" yeah right. you don't see complete strangers offer their speedboats for a test drive. but you are more than likely going to find someone who wants to share their ammo and guns to be shot at the range. you find the best people around guns. :thumbs up:

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

I agree with you. Overall, there is not the snobbery that I see in so many other hobbies. I've shot other people's guns, guns that I would not buy myself, but nevertheless find interesting to shoot. And I will let anyone who wants to try out mine, do so, as long as they do it safely.