Ever get bored with a gun?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ever get bored with a gun?

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I took the Mark III to the range last Monday. Nice trip, took a Bearcat and a Bobcat, too. I noticed why I considered selling the Mark III, and may still do it.

I had the rubber prairie dogs set up at 25 yards, and with the Mark III up first, it was Bang!, Hit! and Bang!, Hit! over and over. On paper, I got the same groups as always, 2.5 to four inches, depending on how patient I was before I squeezed. I put it away after about ten mags worth and enjoyed the other guns much more.

Maybe a poorer shooting gun is more enjoyable because of the challenge?

Maybe live targets would make the Mark III more fun....... :alex:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Shoot faster for a challenge?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

To answer the top title, no.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 am

Get bored, NO. Frustrated YES

Doing the same thing over and over can get boring. But it's also the ways we train our body to react without thinking, making it a reflex action. Making things more challenging can and will help.

Years ago (25+, I'm dating my self) I was shooting my Python at a local gun range. The local police shoot there all the time. One noticed I was just not hitting my targets and he knew I was better that what I was showing. So we were talking and he was admiring my gun and suggested I load the gun and put it down on the rug, and turn my back to the target. On his cmd he wanted me to spin pickup the gun and empty it as fast as I could. I had never shot this gun fast, but did practice in DA. So I did, on his cmd, I spun picked up the gun and fired. To my surprise I had a 5 shots that you could have covered with a silver dollar and 1 2" from the group. His comment was remind me not to surprise you. I did let him shot the gun and he fell in love with the trigger on it. This is why some shoot better fast than slow, during slow fire you over think.

The moral of the story is, Even though you do not think you shoot the gun well it may be that you just need to challenge your self as dave suggested.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:07 pm

ruger22 if hits at 25 are easy move it back 5 yards.... or try to get that 2 1/2" group dwon to 1 1/2", or shoot faster!

I was told a long time ago at qualification for work that ifyou are shooting small groups and getting a perfect score you need to speed up and try to do it at a faster rate,
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne