Stainless Steel Polishing?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Stainless Steel Polishing?

Post by Gatmandu » Fri May 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi Folks,

What methodes/products do you use to remove light marks (scratches and such) from the stainless steel components of your handguns?

Thanks in advance..... :D

Don
I know nothing.......

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm

I have found that the soft gray polishing wheel for drimmels and polishing compound works fantastic for removing scratches on brushed stainless. I've also used 600grit + polishing compound with success. Just gotta make sure you polish in the same direction as the finish.

I've never tried to polish something with a lustrous finish, I imagine it is a lot more difficult than brushed.

Just a comment, if you shoot the firearm a lot, I don't think polishing out minor scratches is worth the time. I've taken fantastic care of all the firearms I use and they still manage to get scratches because they get range time.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:39 pm

The number 1 reason I do not like polished guns and knives. Brush finish is a lot easier to deal with. Fritz polish is probably you best option if they are not too deep. It can be used with a soft cloth rag. I do not like buffing wheels because it's too easy to get a wash effect. If they are deep you may need to hit it with some fine paper and work your way to a polish (600, 1200, 1500, 2000 ....). 2000 grit is about the finest you can easily find. From there the Fritz polish should finish it out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:44 pm

honest wear and small scratches give a gun character... while a perfect finish is beautiful one that looks like it has been used not abused, is even better in my opinion.

+1 for a soft cloth and Flitz
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 am

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies. :D

Don
I know nothing.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 28, 2011 5:12 pm

If you're looking to have a brushed appearance then a green scotchbrite pad will remove scratches and leave a satin finish.

R,
Bullseye

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Sat May 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Bullseye wrote:If you're looking to have a brushed appearance then a green scotchbrite pad will remove scratches and leave a satin finish.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks Bullseye.....I think i have some green Scotchbrite. :D

Don
I know nothing.......