targets for kids

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

targets for kids

Post by radio » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:06 pm

My eleven year old son likes to plink with a Sig Mosquito that I got from a buddy. He likes shooting for a while, but eventually tires of "punching paper" or even plinking the steel flip targets. I do, however, always try to end the sessions BEFORE he is really burned out.

I recently purchased a few hundred balloons to use for that "instant reaction" that kids (and really all new shooters) get a kick out of. I'm looking for suggestions on how to hang the balloons. They will be in front of the dirt berm here at my home range. I can shoot out to just over 100 yards on the longer of the 2 ranges so we can use rifles as well.

I was thinking of using what I already have such as 2 x 4 lumber with screw hooks or bent nails to attach the balloon tails OR a long steel pole (the top rail of an old chain link fence) with tie wires twisted at intervals with "hooks" left for attachment. Either wood or steel would be supported by cement blocks (or something) at the ends. Plywood would probably be great, but don't have much scrap around now and buying new just to destroy doesn't make good financial sense.

Please add thoughts or suggestions (if you have any) and any tips or methods that you've used with youngsters.

Thanks, in advance.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Embedding wooden dowels into the ground also makes a good anchor point for balloons on strings. The balloons can wave in the air depending on how much wind there is around that day. Or one can tie string between two wooden columns (1x2" furring strips) anchored in the ground as attachment points for a string of balloons. Old tennis balls attached with cords to the strings are a little more durable and will dance if the cord is strong enough to absorb the energy of the bullet hits.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Another option if you get tired of the balloons are these self-healing polymer targets. I used one of the 5" balls hung on a string. It was a lot of fun trying to see how far I could get it to swing. I will be adding more to my collection this summer.

http://newboldtargets.com/index.php/targets.html
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:37 am

good suggestions

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 am

I use an orange prairie dog model of these spinning targets. They appeal to the kid in me......... :lol:

http://www.championtarget.com/targets/i ... aseal.aspx

The outdoor range where I go has some very hard ground, so I rigged some old lawn mower tire stands for them. Drill some holes for pieces of sink water supply line to go in, and secure the lines with a washer and cotter pin on the bottom. The legs slip right into the top of the tubes.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Clay pidgeons are always fun to shatter with a 22.....

don't forget tin cans or full soda cans... (i was shooting some cans with my AR the other day, if you hit them low they shoot up about 10-20' in the air, I forgot how much fun that was)
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Tennis balls

Ball of old socks rolled really tight with duct tape

Bottles full of dyed liquid

Really cheap diet soda

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Targets that spin when you hit them. I know a kid with a big golden retriever who really likes them.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 pm

greener wrote:Targets that spin when you hit them. I know a kid with a big golden retriever who really likes them.

I've read about that kid--thought about him today as I was "function testing" a few 158 grain +p .38 rounds through one of my J-frames.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I got a big Golden but have n not been a kid in a t least 70 years. Have not had Petey and Paul the plastic prairie dog brothers out to the range in some time now. Been too busy shooting the 1894C.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

petey and paul would be a great target for the lever gun...... I used my rubber spinner with the .38's with greener when he was up, that was fun. I could shoot those spinners all day.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I got a big Golden but have n not been a kid in a t least 70 years. Have not had Petey and Paul the plastic prairie dog brothers out to the range in some time now. Been too busy shooting the 1894C.

I got real lucky a couple of months ago and snagged a 1894c ('82 model) in great shape for a decent price. The guy was asking $425 on Armslist and I saw it and told him I would take it minutes after he posted. I didn't haggle price because he told me that he had MANY contacts after I agreed to buy it. Since then, the few I've seen for sale have been for $650 and up.

I'm crazy about that gun and may try to get into reloading this upcoming year.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Targets for kids

All the kids seem to have chimed in on what we like. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:58 am

bgreenea3 wrote:petey and paul would be a great target for the lever gun...... I used my rubber spinner with the .38's with greener when he was up, that was fun. I could shoot those spinners all day.
Got to rep;ace the prairie dog brother soon as they are so full of hole in the head and torso that they no longer spin well, sometimes just wiggle a little. .38 with WC;s will just jerk the whole uniit out of the ground and lay it on the berm.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 am

radio wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:I got a big Golden but have n not been a kid in a t least 70 years. Have not had Petey and Paul the plastic prairie dog brothers out to the range in some time now. Been too busy shooting the 1894C.

I got real lucky a couple of months ago and snagged a 1894c ('82 model) in great shape for a decent price. The guy was asking $425 on Armslist and I saw it and told him I would take it minutes after he posted. I didn't haggle price because he told me that he had MANY contacts after I agreed to buy it. Since then, the few I've seen for sale have been for $650 and up.

I'm crazy about that gun and may try to get into reloading this upcoming year.
Not sure of the manufacture of mine but got it at the local pawn shop for 300 out the door a year or so ago. Not too old as it does have the safety in the hammer. See the new Remlins at the LGS in both .44 and .357 mag going for about 550. Remlin= Remington built from Marlin parts.