Mask up?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mask up?

Post by cousin jack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Our indoor shooting range was built in 1946, and is pretty dirty...... we installed a couple of big blowers for ventilation, but the help they give is probably marginal. I sometimes wonder what the long-term damage might be from breathing a lot of .22 lr particulate and vapors, and have thought about wearing a protective mask between relays, or when shooting pistol.

What are your thoughts? Worth masking? If so, what kind?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Be concern, most definitely. I will not shoot in a poorly ventilated area. You need to have your blood tested for lead on a regularly basis. If High you need to stop till it returns to normal.

I shoot at a indoor range locally. When I get smoke in my face I stop and let them know. Some times they trip off a motor and that all it takes. I think they have a pressure switches or other control on the exhaust and supply to maintain a slightly lower pressure on the inside. This keeps all of the fumes going away from you and out the building. They have actually moved me and others out of sections into others. They have 3 separate zones in there lay out.

I use to do these type of controls when I worked. It does require a process controller that will/can process Delta between multiple sensors. All motors are speed controlled so they are not running full blast. Only what is required to keep a negative pressure between the line and back where the exhaust fans are. Now in the winter time if the heaters are not working it's freezing at times since you have cold air blowing down your back.

The poor may way is to have a exhaust fan(s) strong enough to create a negative pressure with the fresh air supply is behind you.

I hope this answers your question.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 pm

As long as the flow of air is moving away from you at the shooting point your in pretty good shape. It is never a good idea to have food or beverages inside a shooting range because this is another way to ingest lead particles into your blood stream. That does not mean if your range has a separate club area, away from the shooting line, that beverages and snacks cannot be consumed there but be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before eating or drinking anything. A blood test annually is also a good way to monitor your Pb levels in your blood stream.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 am

That annual blood test is a good idea; and I think I'll go get one. I'm feeling great, but the contamination factor is always on my mind. I spend a least two nights at the range, December through March, and I'm sure it ain't doing me much good...... Our two blowers are located mid-range, one on the line and one at the impact area, and both exit through ducts to the left..... I'm gonna arrange things so I shoot always on the far right! And during sweep up and pistol nights (during which things get foggy because of the sustained fire stages), I'm gonna wear a good mask with organic/particulate filters... can't hurt.... and "Let em' laugh, let em' laugh!"

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

If your going to wear a mask, have a fit test done. This is the only way to ensure you will not have leakage. I use to have it done biannually, since I was on a HAZMAT team. During the test they have you rolling your head in all positions monitoring for leakage. MSA or Scott makes the better ones. It's also a good idea to have a lung test done too. To ensure you have enough power to use one safely. Even the filter type mask have check valves you have to over come. Then you need to sanitize the mask after each use, which includes inspection and function test.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I also belong to a range with less than ideal ventilation. I had my blood lead level checked about six months ago and it was well over the amount they consider to be ok. I didn't shoot much over the summer, and Ruger had my gun for about 2 months, so I had a decent break from shooting. Normally during the winter league, I shoot 3-5 times a week, which I know is not good for me. The only way I know of to eliminate inhaling lead would be to were a respirator, but it is really hard to find a way to were safety glasses comfortably, while wearing a respirator. The main problem is the resporator covers your nose, and really doesn't allow glasses to fit good at all.