Two Federal Value Packs

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Two Federal Value Packs

Post by ruger22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 am

Things are maybe looking up at Gander Mountain. I got tipped that they were having some .22LR on sale starting today. I had other things that needed doing, so took a vacation day today so I could be there when they opened.

Looked like about six cases each of Value Packs, Golden Bullets, Thunderbolts ( 50 round), and 100 round Mini-Mags. Wife and I grabbed the Value Packs. One box limit on everything but the Thunderbolts, which allowed ten.

Got there about 6;45, no one else showed until eight, which surprised me. Doors opened at nine, and line was still only about 40 people.

Along with 1800 rounds I managed in July, this should hold me through summer without touching my "Obama stash".
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Good for you, Ruger. I saw the ad in Raleigh's Thursday paper and made it to my local G/Mtn
around 1 PM. Unfortunately, the supply for all .22 LR ... including .22 Mags.. was already depleted.

I have about 1,000 rounds stashed but that is because I have mostly worked my centerfire pistols and long guns for the last year. (I refused to pay $80 for a 525 rd box of Remington 22 LR at the local guns shows). I agree with you; it appears the tide has turned for rimfire availability. (And per the ad... black rifle prices are nearing normal, too.)

Coach
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 am

.22 stash is getting low. I'm afraid I might think the $60-80 for a 525 round box is a good idea if the supply doesn't come back. We are approaching 17 months for this shortage.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

I don't think it will ever end unless something happens to break the cycle. All the various scammers have found their Holy Grail and aren't about to quit unless something makes them.

The makers don't seem interested in adding extra production lines. Holding back shipments until the shelves can be overloaded would put the supply at zero for months, no good there. Making it illegal to resell ammo would be another law we shouldn't need. I don't see a good solution outside of people not buying at gouge prices. That's certainly not happening, either.

I think a lot of ammo is being diverted by the distributors to online sellers who outbid the established sources. Why not, if they're going to sell it for three times MSRP? Other ammo is going out the back doors of stores, and sold to buddies from under the counter. What little makes it to shelves is grabbed by the early bird vultures who can be there when the doors unlock, and have it on GunBroker by noon.

It's beginning to look like my stash will be my lifetime supply. I've stopped wasting any time and gas looking for ammo.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I concur that any supply that does reach the typical outlets (WalMart, G/Mtn, Dick 's SG, etc) is siphoned off thru the good-buddy network - or even a $20 'heads-up fee' to the stock clerk.

I am in the - refuse-to-be-gouged camp (and boycott CDT.com). I have low expectations for next month's Dixie G&K show at the Raleigh fair grounds. But will look for some reasonable riimfire stock anyway. All the press and disclaimers by ammo makers seems a bit hollow - if not false - with this shortage now approaching 2 years old.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

This is what happens when products are limited to just a few manufacturers. Can you say ammo cartel.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 am

I guessed that the .22 shortage would be cleared up by last fall. Sure missed that one.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am

In a few years, there will be a glut of old .22 ammo on the market, passed off as fresh.

Misfire!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 am

The big NRA meeting is, IIRC, next week? I wonder how much attention will be given to the "shortage", and if more than cliches will be offered to find a solution?
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

charlesb wrote:In a few years, there will be a glut of old .22 ammo on the market, passed off as fresh.

Misfire!
Locally they don't even try to pass them off as fresh. "Vintage ammo" is an often used description. Just chafes my behind to see 30-40 year old ammo trying to be sold for $150/carton. I don't let it concern me as I've always believed that a consumable product, that I couldn't make myself, should be bought in quantity and laid by, for times when it wasn't possible or convenient to run into town to pick some up.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Bass Pro, Academy and GM seem to have some .22 ammo on hand most every day, but maybe not in an all day quantity. The Walmarts seem to have more of the underground supply conspiracy.

I have been able to maintain my inventory without having to get up at dark-thirty to stand in line. But I am in GA and not up in the NE were everything seems to be against the shooter.
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm under 10,000 rds now, things are really getting bad.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm

You know my original post here was nine months ago??

I thought things were better at Gander, but that post was the last ammo I've bought there. Their "Ammo Alerts" haven't shown any .22 at my Gander for a long time. They may get some, but it's not in the Alerts.

In fact, I haven't been in Gander but twice in the last year, and was looking for something else. I've scored four Value Packs at Dick's since that post. Got a couple of Thunderbolts, couple of Golden Bullets and a few bricks of American Eagle at Sportsman's Warehouse. That's all the .22 I've seen in those last nine months, about 6k rounds. I've shot all but the Value Packs.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 pm

I've got .22lr ammo, but I'm not shooting much. Lately I've been concentrating on the centerfire rifles.

I think what I need is a new .22 to mess with.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 am

ruger22 wrote:You know my original post here was nine months ago??

I thought things were better at Gander, but that post was the last ammo I've bought there. Their "Ammo Alerts" haven't shown any .22 at my Gander for a long time. They may get some, but it's not in the Alerts.

In fact, I haven't been in Gander but twice in the last year, and was looking for something else. I've scored four Value Packs at Dick's since that post. Got a couple of Thunderbolts, couple of Golden Bullets and a few bricks of American Eagle at Sportsman's Warehouse. That's all the .22 I've seen in those last nine months, about 6k rounds. I've shot all but the Value Packs.
You've picked up more than I have, but I haven't been looking very hard. Time to start because supplies are getting pretty low.