Lost my carry gun

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Lost my carry gun

Post by Hakaman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:45 pm

I have a North American Arms 22 Magnum revolver, needless to say it is a diminutive gun. I was going to the range and went down to my safe to pack it up and take it but it was nowhere to be found. I search high and low in my two story house with a basement for several days. I must have looked in every location 15 times, and could not find it. Finally after about a month of looking with no success, I went to the local police department and filed a lost gun report. Losing your carry gun is really distressing, because in this case it was in a holster with an extra set of Magnum rounds in a little pouch. The thoughts that go through your mind, "are kids going to pick it up wherever it's found and accidentally shoot each other, etc, etc, etc" . I was really discouraged. About a week after I filed the report, sitting watching TV, I was plagued with a piece of grit in my eye. So I went upstairs to the bathroom and got some eye drops out of the cabinet drawer and lo and behold there was my gun way in the back of the drawer. I had forgotten I slipped it there before I went on a two-day vacation. What a relief, I don't have to worry about all the nightmares that possibly could happen. I went back to the police department and reported that I found the gun again, they came out to my car and check the serial number to make sure I actually did find it and cleared the report out of their computer. I guess I'm more forgetful then I used to be in my Hay Day's.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Lost my carry gun

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 am

Better to be found by you than another person with unknown intentions. I have had this experience a few times over the years, but fortunately I have relocated my firearm prior to having to go and file a report with the local PD. It is a panicky feeling to be missing something like a firearm.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Good for you, glad you found it in a fairly short time. I see an advantage to having a safe, in that all guns are in one place, maybe two if you have a bedside arrangement. I'm glad in a way my wife has nothing to do with guns. She can't keep track of anything; constantly asking if I've seen her keys, purse, whatever.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 am

Glad you were able to locate your gun after being mia for over a month.

Handguns worry me the most when they get into the wrong hands. I keep a pretty short leash on the ones I have.

Safes are a nice place to store guns but they have their drawbacks too. There never big enough it seams like. I helped a neighbor move a new safe into his shop. It was a large safe 52 gun is what they said it will hold. But no where near that capacity due to optics and AR's. I need a bigger one but don't have a place to put it right now.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 pm

:oops: One of my biggest fears of the situation was that kids would find the gun and end up hurting themselves. It is a summer carry gun that I always keep in a holster with four extra rounds in a pouch on the side of the holster. Every night going to bed I would think about it with great concern which is a very unpleasant thing to go through. Fortunately, it was never lost per se, and just hidden so well that I couldn't even find it . Life is back to normal now, now that I have discovered my own hiding place.