22/45 Comparison

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

22/45 Comparison

Post by greener » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm

My main objective going to the range today was to ring out the new SR9. I tossed my MKIII 22/45 and MKII 22/45 in the range bag "just in case." It was time to leave but I decided that since I brought them I'd pop off a few rounds of .22 before I left. 300 rounds later, I decided I really had to leave.

This was the first time in quite a while I had fired both the MKIII and the MKII. I'd almost forgotten just how much fun they are. Based on an in-depth scientific test I can now say that the MKIII 22/45 with LCI and mag safety is better than the MKII 22/45. The MKII had one failure to feed and two failures to extract. It took fewer rounds to obliterate a 1.5" dot torture bubble with the MKIII. The fact that I had a red dot on the MKIII, fired the MKII with open sights and the MKII was purchased used has nothing at all to do with the relative accuracy or extraction problems. :lol: Looks like I'm finally in the market for a VQ extractor.

If you don't have one, get one (either model).

Ruffchaser

Post by Ruffchaser » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Thats interesting about the comparison betwwen the mkII and mkIII. Is the mkII's grip thicker than the mkIII's? I have a mkIII and it can really shoot . Thats the thing about rugers,you can get a bullseye accurate gun for $250 - $300 .

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

The MKII has a thicker grip than the MKIII. I prefer the MKII grip, but the MKIII grip isn't bad. Both have the VQ trigger and sear. They shoot very well. I haven't shot both of them at the same time for a while and really enjoyed the afternoon.

stalkingbear

Post by stalkingbear » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am

I have a mk3 22/45 and couldn't stand the goofy magazine disconnect safety so I installed a mk2 hammer and chucked the mag safety lever & spring, effectively converting it back to mk2.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:16 pm

FYI I own the Mark III with the whole Volquartsen treatment.

Just curious, what the heck does the goofy magazine disconnect have to do with your shooting procedure?

I load each 10 round clip with five rounds, and take a breathing moment while changing clips. I find it brings me back to a calmer state and shows on the targets.

The clip disconnect has never got in between me and the hole in the paper. The disconnect is invisible IMHO.

No disrespect intended.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Liking or not liking the mag disconnect is a matter of personal preference. I have some hand guns with mag disconnects and some without. I have two MKII's and two MKIII's. I don't like the mag disconnect, but not enough to go through the bother of removing them. They don't affect the way I shoot. Nice thing about Rugers is the mag disconnect is easy to remove if you don't like it.

Since I think the pistol is loaded and will fire until I verify otherwise, the mag disconnect is useless. I think it would be safer not to have this safety because you wouldn't be in the habit of trusting it and not checking.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:40 pm

I don't think a lot about the loaded chamber indicator flag on the III either. It reminds me of a modern day lawn mower with 87 disconnects, turn offs, and guards. We seem to be designing equipment for slow learners or careless people.

I guess if it slows down lawsuits and multi-million dollar judgments, it holds down on the cost of the equipment I want.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

stalkingbear

Post by stalkingbear » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:11 am

My MK2s don't have it, now nor do my MK3s. It has little to do with the way I shoot, but does annoy me when field stripping it as I like to use a magazine feed lip when field stripping them. I don't like to have a magazine in there when dry firing in preparation to field strip or when practicing trigger control/sights alignment. It's NOT needed & an inconvenience so I can't stand it. I can't imagine putting up with it when it's so easily removed. It's just another indicator of the lawyer happy/gun libility times we live in. By the way, no offence taken as I've been a gunsmith for 28 years and shooting/hunter's safety/CCW instructor for a bunch of years. Just MY opinion.

Curmudgeon wrote:FYI I own the Mark III with the whole Volquartsen treatment.
Just curious, what the heck does the goofy magazine disconnect have to do with your shooting procedure?
The clip disconnect has never got in between me and the hole in the paper. The disconnect is invisible IMHO.
No disrespect intended.