Cleaning, Complete Strip S&W Model 41

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

juniour

Cleaning, Complete Strip S&W Model 41

Post by juniour » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi,
I'm New here and this is My first post. I have been handed down My Dad's S&W Model 41. It is absolutely filthy internally. Huge chuncks of gunk and stuff. So I fiqure if it hasn't been ever cleaned internally untill now which is the way it looks. If I clean it up like new it should never need it again in My lifetime hopefully. I've managed to get it torn down to only haveing the sear and spring, trigger and spring, and the barrell locking stuff/trigger guard lever. basically the stuff with driven pins are still in the gun. My first question is if I were to drive out the pins to finish stripping the gun down how firm are the pins in there? Any tips on what I'm trying to accomplish here? Also is there a way to remove the trigger bar without removeing the trigger? And one last question I have is the magazine safety bar on this gun was sprung with the spring to hold it in the up postion which actually disarmed it. I think it might have been done on purpose. From what I've read on this sight when assembled correctly it should only take a 1/4 turn or so on the spring to install. This one would take over a 1/2 turn to install. I think the spring might have been monkeyed with. Would anybody have a picture of a untampered with spring? Pretty big plate for my first post huh? I could use any help I can get here.
Thanks,
Juniour

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:18 pm

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

juniour

Post by juniour » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Yes I have that page saved. And it was great help to get me as far down as I am but i'd like to take it down farther then that.
Thanks,
Juniour

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

This may not help much, but is all I can find on-line (without buying a book)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... del_41.pdf

It is a printable owner's manual.
Schematic drawing may help.
http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/sw41.htm

If in good conditon, this gun seems to be in the $700-$ 800 range currently from what I could find on the net.

juniour

Post by juniour » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks,
And yes I have the manual & schematic also. I'm still interested in dissasembleing a bit farther though to get this thing cleaned up. And am curious about that spring. There must be someone around here real familiar with the 41's? They were a popular gun but are hard to find information on.
Juniour

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Wait for Bullseye, he will be able to answer your questions....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

juniour

Post by juniour » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Will Do Guys,
And I do appreciate the direction to the links so far. Soon as I get this 41 cleaned up and in action again I'll be talking bout My Ruger Mk2 I think it is. It is already cleaned and good to go. And I'll also hopefully find the time to introduce My self tonight. I've been scoopin snow all day today.
Juniour

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Cleaning, Complete Strip S&W Model 41

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:56 pm

juniour wrote:Hi,
I'm New here and this is My first post. I have been handed down My Dad's S&W Model 41. It is absolutely filthy internally. Huge chuncks of gunk and stuff. So I fiqure if it hasn't been ever cleaned internally untill now which is the way it looks. If I clean it up like new it should never need it again in My lifetime hopefully. I've managed to get it torn down to only haveing the sear and spring, trigger and spring, and the barrell locking stuff/trigger guard lever. basically the stuff with driven pins are still in the gun. My first question is if I were to drive out the pins to finish stripping the gun down how firm are the pins in there?
Those pins are firmly seated in the frame. They are not easily drifted out. Better to leave them unless you absolutely must remove those components.
Any tips on what I'm trying to accomplish here?
Use some solvent on these components and then blow out the recesses with a air compressor and a nozzle.
Also is there a way to remove the trigger bar without removeing the trigger?
Yes. The trigger bar can be removed without actually removing the trigger. You must remove the magazine disconnector lever. You have to rotate the mag disconnector lever upward slightly then lift it out of the frame from the right side. Then you can rotate the trigger bar outward from the top of the frame to take it off of the trigger connector pin. Once disconnected from the trigger, you can slide the trigger bar out forward and out of the frame.
And one last question I have is the magazine safety bar on this gun was sprung with the spring to hold it in the up position which actually disarmed it. I think it might have been done on purpose. From what I've read on this sight when assembled correctly it should only take a 1/4 turn or so on the spring to install. This one would take over a 1/2 turn to install. I think the spring might have been monkeyed with. Would anybody have a picture of a untampered with spring? Pretty big plate for my first post huh? I could use any help I can get here.
Thanks,
Juniour
If this is the case then attempting to rebend the spring would not be wise. Better to just order a new one from S&W and replace it. It sounds like your gun functions as it is with the mag safety in the upward position so you don't have to worry about when the replacement spring arrives and you can still operate the gun.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

juniour

Post by juniour » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Thank you sir for the insight. I'll stop tearing it down then where It's at now except might try again to get the trigger bar off. I couldn't seem to roll it out of there but will try again. I have a nice solvent tank with mineral spirits and lots of air. It'll be cleaner then it's been probably for years. Then maybe spray it with some BreakFree CLP as thats supposed to clean and have some penetrateing lube for the final pass. I'll also order a new spring for the mag saftey. Reassemble and lightly oil moveing parts. Sound like a good plan? I'll get some pic's of this thing before I clean it. You'll be amazed how dirty it is and Once it's back together I'll get some completed pic's.
Thanks Bullseye!

juniour

Post by juniour » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Hey Bullseye,
You sure about being able to get the trigger bar off without removeing the trigger/pin?? I've tried and tried and it just doesn't seem to want to clear the hook on the trigger.
Juniour

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes. The trigger cannot come out of the frame if the trigger bar is connected. The top part of the trigger extends upward into the frame and you cannot remove or tilt it if the trigger bar is attached. What you have is a trigger bar that needs a little coaxing. I said coaxing not forcing or torquing.

To get the trigger bar out you have to squeeze the trigger and get the rear portion out of the frame near the sear. Then you rotate the back end upwards as far as it will go without forcing it. Then you take you finger and place it in the disconnector tab, the part that extends upward under the slide. You use the disconnector tab as a handle to apply some force to tilt the trigger bar outward off of the trigger pin. You also may have to rotate the back side of the trigger bar a little farther upward, do not force but add a little extra pressure, and it should come off of the trigger and rotate upward significantly as it comes off and release out of the frame. You can also use a pin punch to add a little leverage at the top of the trigger bar near the trigger pin to help tilt it out.

You can look at a picture of the trigger bar out of the frame here; http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/m41_triggerbar.JPG I don't want to upload it here as it is a big picture.

R,
Bullseye

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 pm

I haven't read all the posts on this thread so forgive me if someone already suggested this. In the future if you don't want to detail strip it, remove the barrel and grips and dunk it in a ammo can of kerosene, brush it with a plastic brush and blow it off with compressed air. Comes out very clean and the kerosene leaves a slight film of oil, then just oil the parts that you normally do and your good to go. I've been doing it like that since 88, also works great on 1911s.

juniour

Got it stripped down, Pic's of Dirt

Post by juniour » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Well I got sidetracked with life's crap for a while. I did finally get the Model 41 stripped down completely except for the sear and spring. I was able to clean that pretty good with a brush and air though. I also couldn't get the trigger bar off without removing the trigger pin. Once I removed the pin I was able to move the trigger up slightly and the trigger bar finally slid off. Might have been a burr or something on it I'll look at it closer as it's going together. I really didn't want to take it down this far but as I said this thing is as dirty as they come. I ordered a new mag disconnect spring for it and a new Bolt pin as it was buggered before Me and a recoil buffer. Anyways if I can get it back together it shouldn't have to come apart in My lifetime again I hope. Here's some pic's of the dirt. I'll get pic's of it when it's back together also. The whole gun was gunked up like this. How dirty do you consider this?
Juniour

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

That's one filthy gun. Judging by the pictures, the reason you couldn't get that trigger bar out may have been because of all that crud in the frame. I'd sure like to see that one again after you scrub it out real good with some solvent and a brass brush.

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

Wow! That is one nasty, dirty gun. Whatever cleaning solvent you use... you could probably sell the Before and After pics to their marketing staff. It brings to mind a neighbor's old dirt encased truck with the words written in the rear window.. " wash me - Please!". Good luck with the cleanup and be sure to post those *After* pics.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones