New MK III Front Sight Loose

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

aomiii

New MK III Front Sight Loose

Post by aomiii » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:46 pm

My new MK III Hunter front sight works loose in 50-60 rounds no matter how often I tighten it. I have read this is a common problem and that Blue LocTite fixes it. Any comments from the Forum? Thanks in advance.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: New MK III Front Sight Loose

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:35 pm

aomiii wrote:front sight works loose in 50-60 rounds no matter how often I tighten it. I have read that Blue LocTite fixes it.
BLUE: loosens with HandTools
Red: requires applying heat
Green: requires heat

this sales-page has a summary of the colors...
http://www.GreenSkyAdventures.com/locti ... teCart.htm

my experience is that you use it SPARINGLY... as you can still
bugger-up the threads.. and we don't want to do that to our GunScrews.
Even "test" the amount with a small screw+nut to judge for yourself.

Do you have a set of HollowGround-ScrewDriver-Bits "Gun-Smith" screwdrivers??
They don't have to be expensive... $10 for a set at WMT-sporting-dept.
It's the Hollow-Ground Tip that makes the difference for a good fit in the screw-slot.

aomiii

Post by aomiii » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:22 pm

toyfj40, thanks for the great info on hollow ground screw drivers. I will get a set a set before I fiddle with the MK III. Otherwise I would have used an 2 sided electronics screw driver which can come with new hard drive conversions for computers.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Don't sweat this, the front sight loosening is a very common problem for Rugers. Be sure to degrease the screw hole, sight base, and the screw before adding the locktite. Many folks go out and attempt to shoot too soon and fail to allow the sealant to cure completely. Locktite really needs 24 hours to completely cure. Another option is to use ladies fingernail polish as the sealant. This works well too, but you still need to allow adequate curing time.

R,
Bullseye

f.2

Post by f.2 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Blue loctite comes in a red container.

PURPLE #222 THREAD-LOCKER, Brownells

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Yes it sure does, but it has a blue stripe on the bottle with "#242 medium strength" printed on the side. The thread locker sealant inside the bottle is colored blue too.

Here's the product description:
Keeps those single action and other problem screws from backing out during shooting. Restores worn parts to original tight fit. Flows into and fills to .015" gap, then hardens into tough solid with 1400 psi strength. Excess wipes off. Medium strength - disassemble with normal tools.
The Green #290 is a good medium strength locking sealant.

Here's the product description:
GREEN #290 THREADLOCKER - Penetrates and works around threads. Capillary action draws #290 down into threads where it hardens to lock screws in place after final assembly. Perfect for trigger adjustment screws, action assemblies and scope mounts. Medium-high strength - 1600 psi - disassembles with normal tools.

R,
Bullseye