Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My New S&W M-41

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Guy's / Gals

I have been wanting a S&W M41 for several years. Ever since I sold the one I had that I could not get to function with out a stove pipe every magazine. It was an older one that had the compensator and weights. I got this new one on Monday and it looked great, only problem I saw was the feed ramp was butchered from the factory. Must have been a really bad bit when it was cut. I sanded the feed ramp tooling gouges out of it and polished the ramp. Looks good now and function great. I sighted the factory sights in yesterday with 200 rounds. Only problem was one failure to load on second magazine. No problems what so ever after that. What a beautiful pistol. Every bit a nice as the older ones as far as bluing and build quality. In fact better in build quality, this one shoots fine so far.

Anyway,

What a versatile pistol this is going to be. It's going to be so much fun to shoot.
I got my scope rail on her today, still can use the factory sights with the scope rail. Then put my Vortex Venom on it. Nice red dot and compact. Looks great. Then fixed a scope on her for that precision shooting when needed. Tomorrow is range day to sight them all in. Happy, Happy, Happy.
Aim Small & Miss Small

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: My New S&W M-41

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm

OK Guy's/Gal's

Got everything together and sighted in on my 41. Love the feel of the pistol and the way it shoots. I put about 300 rounds of SK Match through it no problem. But then I had 500 rounds of Federal Match (SV ammo still) would not shoot one magazine with out 2 at least failure to eject on each magazine. So then moved to Federal HV which is what all my target pistols get the most of and they all shoot with no problems. Same thing, approx. two failures to extract on each magazine.

I use to have an older model 41 that also had this problem even with CCI SV. I took the advice of Bullseye back then and reamed the chamber. Never had a problem after that. I had to have some money at the time. Life happens so I sold that 41 and decided I would not own another one unless it had the S&W Lifetime service policy with it. So now I have that policy with this pistol and we will see what their service will be like. Called them today and got the return label and she is all boxed up. Told them on the phone and in the letter to them that the chamber is so tight that is not even a joy to shoot. She is scheduled for pickup tomorrow. Friday 10-18-2019.

Can't wait to see what she will be like when I get her back. Even with using oil on the top round you would have a failure to extract once in a while. I tried a Volquartsen extractor to no avail also. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Aim Small & Miss Small

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Ok Guy's/Gal's

I have everything set up on my new Model 41. I purchased 2 more barrels for it. One 7" and one 5.5", scoped the 7" and put a tube style red dot on the 5.5".

After polishing the chambers on all but one barrel they all shoot great now. Took her to the range and not one hick-up out of any of the barrels. Sight all three in and just very pleased all the way around with her.

Here is my set up now.
Aim Small & Miss Small

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:39 am

Nice pistol and now you have it well equipped as well. I'm looking forward to hearing how well it performs. My 70-71 has driven me crazy with stove pipes and failure to reset the trigger, I sincerely hope yours runs like a top.

Patrick

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:41 am

Here is what she looks like now. I had to polish the chambers on two out of the three barrels to get it to shoot anything I put through it now. The targets were 25 yards CCI SV and Aguila SV in 0 wind at about 50 degrees.
Aim Small & Miss Small

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm

That's a nice looking pistol. How reliable is it with ammo of various manufacturers? Also, how easy is it to break down and clean? From appearance it looks like it is very ergonomically suited to shoot similar to a 1911 .
I just purchased a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 Lite pistol is that I am really enjoying. It is so easy to clean with a push of a button the receiver comes apart from the rest of the frame. I can literally clean it in 15 minutes head to toe.Image

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 am

Hakaman,
Nice pistol you have there. The Mark series are great right out of the box. They will eat anything and never miss a beat. I have a couple myself

The S&W Model 41 is usually not this way. I have three barrels for my model 41 only one out of the three did not need the chamber polished to cycle reliably. Now mine is pretty good but not near as good as the Ruger's. But it is a little more accurate than the Ruger's. Especially with the Burris 3x12-32 on it shooting from a bench, which is how I got those targets shot.:)
Aim Small & Miss Small

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Dang, that's a long barrel you have on your Ruger. You have some nice pistols yourself. I messaged bear and the old man and he hasn't been shooting for 3 or 4 years now because of health issues. I don't know if you have talked with him or not but that's the reason he doesn't come in here anymore and post anymore. It really saddens me when these kinds of things happen. One of my shooting friends is in his upper 70s and going through the same sort of thing with health issues. He can barely make it to the range these days. I don't know if I will see him anymore, who knows with this virus going on.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 am

That's sad to hear.
I am getting older myself and want to enjoy my shooting for as long as possible. I am a diabetic and have been for the last 39 years (taking shots) so I worry about my eye sight. But most of my guns have red dots and or scopes now to help my aging eyes. Still have a great time for my biggest passion, shooting and plinking.

I hope the rest get better so they can enjoy hitting the range again. I have seen the forums loose and loose members for a long while now. Sad but that's the way God wants it in his all Devine and Planned way. God Bless all.
Aim Small & Miss Small