Ammo FTF

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:40 am

TB, can see why you bought that Henry. The wood on mine is all right but yours looks great. Good wood on a low cost gun is a hit or miss thing.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 am

Here are a couple photos of my Ruger mags loaded with that garbage ammo, Federal Spitfire. The first photo shows the condition of how I would normally load the mag into the gun (notice the "first round" down in the mag a little). The second photo shows how I have to load the ammo to get it to feed (notice the first round elevated a little). Once it feeds the first round, the other rounds follow suit. I just have to make sure I manipulate the first round so that the bullet end is pointing upward, then all is ok. I still get a FTF here and there , but nothing to get excited about.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Hakaman, being that the bullet and the overall cartridge lent=gth are on the short side, just slap the back of the mag in the palm of your hand tto make all of them seat the rims to the back of the mag and that should help get the nose up on the first round. Just use up that ammo na remember to not buy any more of it.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, I finally finished off all the Federal Spitfires. So, at Bass Pro Shops, they had a sale on "Remington .22LR Golden Bullet". I purchased a case (525 rds) for my next cache. I am now reading mixed reviews on this ammo. Does anybody here have any experience with this ammo? If so, what is your opinion?
Haka :twitchy: <<< twitching

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Hakaman wrote:Well, I finally finished off all the Federal Spitfires. So, at Bass Pro Shops, they had a sale on "Remington .22LR Golden Bullet". I purchased a case (525 rds) for my next cache. I am now reading mixed reviews on this ammo. Does anybody here have any experience with this ammo? If so, what is your opinion?
Haka :twitchy: <<< twitching
May have tried some in the past but not for sure, that may be why I steer away from it. Sometimes the cheappest is not really that cheap when you think back to the frustrations you have.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Rem Goldens

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 am

Hakka - Goldies do not have a good reputation. My Buck Marks did not like them at all when they were new. FTF and FTE were numerous and frustrating. Now, the BM fires them with no issues. BUT, Goldies also have a potential for duds. Maybe 2% or so. As a cheap round to practice with where nothing is on the line except paper punching and working on form and fitness, they are fine. I wouldn't (obviously) use them in a match or where every shot counted. But I generally get very good groups with them. Let me re-state that... for my age, steadiness and eye sight, one mfr does about as good as another. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The BAOM has a wobble stopper and that helps him, so maybe he a more opinion. :) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 am

I also had really bad luck with the Remington Goldies. FTF was probably 5% or so. I started shooting Federal 510s and really like them for an inexpensive round. Wal-Mart carries them but unfortunately they seem to be in short supply right now.
Smokey

harper_07

Post by harper_07 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:19 am

I shot a couple hundred Winchester super X Standard velocity through my Mark III this weekend. I am a horrible shot so i cannot comment on accuracy. Only had 1 FTE. Seemed real dirty.

Are there any wear problems with shooting non-lead rounds through a Mark III or any other .22 pistol?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Range report w/ remington golden ammo:
My friend had a Marlin 22lr lever action rifle with a box of "goldies", and I had my Ruger Mark Trey Target w/ my own box of "goldens". He didn't appear to have any misfires/failures/duds at all, as he was a mad man on his lever action. Likewise, I ran through 150 rds w/o a hitch and had a decent group at 30'. If I come across some failures, I don't mind, I'm just punching holes with them.
150rds, 30', rapid fire
Haka :wink: :twitchy:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:06 pm

If they work for you then great. I have had nothing but trouble with them in Ruger 22 Autos, in other firearms they work fine just not the Rugers. Keep a close eye out on your barrel, lots of leading issues with these bullets.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Bullseye wrote:If they work for you then great. I have had nothing but trouble with them in Ruger 22 Autos, in other firearms they work fine just not the Rugers. Keep a close eye out on your barrel, lots of leading issues with these bullets.

R,
Bullseye
That may be why I steer away from them, may have used some but it was loooong ago.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:59 pm

just got back from the range and shot about 300 rds of the Remington "Goldens". I must have good luck with them, but, I didn't have any ftf's, duds, or any other prob with them. They all seemed consistantly loaded and very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I have heard alot of negs about them, but if they are the least expensive, I'm going to buy them. Maybe my Ruger appreciates them after the "Spitfires" it had to digest?
h

genetics_jo

Post by genetics_jo » Sun May 17, 2009 11:40 am

Seems like there's a widespread difference from Ruger to Ruger on the Goldens vs Federals. I have a relatively new MK III (bought last year, have put probably 3 bricks through it since). My wife has a used MK I classic. We've had no problems with the Remington Goldens but have had alot of problems with Federal "Champions" solid's (40 gr)...both on FTF and FTE as well as lead-ing up the barrel and needing cleaning alot sooner than other ammo. Actually prefer the Rem. "Goldens". Best ones I've had though were CCI blazers. Those didn't have issues with either gun.

NOW...the only ammo I could find recently were 6 boxes (50 rds each) of CCI stingers. Seems like there's a mixed opinion on those too. Besides the obvious that they'll probably break down my gun if that were all I used, is there any safety issue with these?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Seems like there's a widespread difference from Ruger to Ruger on the Goldens vs Federals. My wife has a used MK I classic. We've had no problems with the Remington Goldens but have had alot of problems with Federal "Champions" solid's (40 gr)...both on FTF and FTE as well as lead-ing up the barrel and needing cleaning alot sooner than other ammo. Actually prefer the Rem. "Goldens". Best ones I've had though were CCI blazers. Those didn't have issues with either gun.
Interesting reply Genetics_Jo. I'm with you on the "Goldens". Anybody who doesn't want theirs can send them my way. (I bet the people who have problems them don't clean their guns often :rothfl: ) Seriously, it must be a matter of "some Rugers work well with them, and some don't".
Hakaman

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am

Having time in my life to do almost(weather limitations) all the shooting I want I shoot my 22 rim fires 90% of the time, and center fires 10%. The more I think that I understand the ends and outs of 22 rimfire ammunition the only sure thing is that I know very little. Example, a P22 that gobbles up Remington Golden's with zero FTF. The same ammo in a Buck Mark and I get 2 or 3 duds per mag. My Smith 41 loves CCI SV, but will not live on Rem or Fed bulk pack at all. Of the bulk packs Federal Automatch seem to work in all my pistols, but at 1200 fps I don't use it in the 41. My ANSCHUTZ will perform on SK Rifle Match, the lesser stuff will destroy groups. I have been on the line with new shooters with new rimfire pistols and a box of rem or fed bulk who where cursing their new pistol as a jamamatic. I give them 10 rounds of CCI SV or Fed Automatch and the FTFs disappear. Some pistols seem to require being "broke in" with better ammo and then they will run on the bulk fodder.Almost all my rifles(including 10/22)/pistols will shoot well with Remington Subsonics. Just when I have the "perfect" ammo for a perticular firearm I run out of that LOT and the next lot is crazy. So, I have this insulated range bag with at least ten different brands/types that are required to feed one firearm or the other. That is why I'm so glad the HAK,TB,bearandoldman,greener,etal talked me into the HENRY lever gun, it will feed everything with zero failures of any kind in 3000+ rounds, and group any of them very well :D