Ruger MKII Target Hammer

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bbh791

Ruger MKII Target Hammer

Post by bbh791 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:51 am

Is there anyone out there that can REALLLLY tell a difference between the Volquartsen Target Hammer and the Ruger hammer? Thanks to all.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:27 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

There are some physical differences between the OEM and a VQ hammer. A Ruger factory hammer is one solid part. The VQ target hammer has a large hole drilled through the side making it a little lighter than its factory counterpart.

Another physical difference between the two hammers is the way that the hammer hook is positioned. The VQ hammer hook is cut more forward than the OEM. This makes the VQ hammer sit a little higher angled on the sear. Sitting higher means the mainspring isn't fully tensioned and that gives the shooter a feeling of a lighter trigger pull. But the downside of the VQ modifications to the hammer is a lighter hammer mass and a higher position means there's not as much hammer inertia, which can lead to light firing pin strikes and misfires.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

bbh791

Ruger MKII Target Hammer

Post by bbh791 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks for the excellent explanation!

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:03 pm

I put the VQ accurizing kit (trigger, sear and hammer) in my MKIII Hunter. The pistol has worked almost flawlessly in the two years the kit has been installed. I haven't had any light strikes or failures to fire that couldn't be traced back to the ammo, and very few of those. It was a good upgrade and I've been pleased with the results.

The wisdom on this forum at the time was that the big improvement came from replacing the trigger and sear. I did the trigger and sear replacement on a MKIII 22/45 and a MKII GC. The trigger pull on these may be heavier by gauge (I haven't tested them), but I really can't tell the difference between the complete kit and just the trigger and sear.