Volquartsen MKII Sear

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bbh791

Volquartsen MKII Sear

Post by bbh791 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:48 pm

I have two MKII's each with a Volquartsen sear. One is just where I like it on the pull but the other is way too light. Is there any way to correct this or should I try another sear? Thanks to all.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

The first question I have is how much is too light? Did you add in any other aftermarket modifications to the pistols other than the sears? Are these Mark IIs (metal frame) or are any 22/45 model versions?

R,
Bullseye

bbh791

Volquartsen Sears

Post by bbh791 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:04 am

These are Government Competitions. They also have the Volquartsen hammers. I haven't got a tool to measure the pull but I would guess the one that is light is around a #1-1 1/2. It sure doesn't take much for it to go off.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:40 am

Well, the problem can also rest with the VQ hammer since the trigger pull weight is dependent on both of these component's engagement angles. Changing out either one of these parts may add enough weight to the trigger and identify the culprit. The first thing I'd do is replace the VQ hammer on the pistol that is light with the OEM hammer and check the trigger pull weight again. Replacing this component is easiest and may add the eight ounces you're looking for to the trigger pull. I was also wondering if you had installed any aftermarket triggers, like the VQ adjustable ones, into your pistols. Typically by replacing the trigger plunger springs with the original factory ones can recover another 4-6 ounces on the trigger's pull.

Let me know how it works for you.

R,
Bullseye

bbh791

Volquartsen Sear

Post by bbh791 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Well, I replaced the Volquartsen hammer and put the original back in. Nothing changed. I did notice a slight difference with the original rebound spring. I looked in my parts bin and found a new Volquartsen sear and tried it with the Volq. hammer and shorter rebound spring. It is now right where I want it. Could the light sear possibly have had too much metal removed or maybe the angle is different? Thanks for the help.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Possibly, but now you've definitely isolated the problem to that sear. Since you've replaced it, everything is fine now. Typically the VQ sears are cut and polished to a very high standard. If that was a new sear, then contacting VQ would likely get you a new one sent out to you.

R,
Bullseye

bbh791

Volquartsen Sear

Post by bbh791 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Spoke to Volquartsen and they said to send it back for an exchange. Great customer service!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm

Volquartsen Custom has one of the highest customer service records of any that I've encountered. They are truly top notch. This is one reason why VQ gets so much repeat business. Folks just like being treated well by a company. When they're treated well, they tell all their friends - Kind of like what I've done here at Guntalk-Online with VQ. They've always done right by me in the past, and I see examples of that personal level of customer service continues through everyone who tells their VQ customer service story on the forum.

R,
Bullseye