Mark III Jamming

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

scaleman

Mark III Jamming

Post by scaleman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey I need help from the experts again.

I went to the range today to relax and it seemed that every 15 or so rounds my Mark III jammed on a spent shell. I have used a few differnt brands of ammo and they all seem to do this. The gun is pretty new yet maybe having like 500-1000 rounds run through it. Though this isnt a big deal it is a pain in the butt having to drop the magazine and clear the jam every few minutes.

Any Ideas? :?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Clean and lube it
If it still does it put in a VQ extractor.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 pm

If you haven't already cleaned out the reddish shipping preservative then that is your first priority. That lube will thicken over time and will attract dirt and grit. It will slow the bolt down and can cause ejection errors.

R,
Bullseye

scaleman

Post by scaleman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm

yes the gun has been cleaned very well and lubricated with some gun oil. I clean and oil it everytime I shoot. Because of a post I read by Bullseye I disassembled and clean it the first day I got it, so that red stuff is long gone. Im considering get the VQ extractor it dosent cost that much.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 pm

Two questions.
1. Does it always happen with the same clip???
2. Have you tried different ammo?
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

scaleman

Post by scaleman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Yes I have tried different ammo, and truthfully I dont know i f it happens with the same clip I have 3 I will have to mark them next time I go to the range

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Get the VQ extractor. Fixed my Mark III instantly, not one FTE since.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 am

I'd replace the extractor with one from VQ. Then I'd check the clearance of all my magazines and the ejector pin, like in this thread http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... hp?p=68#68 You need a gap of about 1/16" on the feed lips to the ejector pin to prevent the spent case from getting knocked off of the extractor hook prior to ejection. Otherwise you'll get an ejection condition that looks like this one.

Replacing the factory extractor will likely eliminate your problem. Here's a link to the replacement procedure. http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm#extractor

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Try shooting some Winchester '333' from Wal-mart. My gun hasn't jammed since I swapped.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

scaleman

Post by scaleman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't think its the ammos falt this time. I but a round on the bolt and went through the motions and it was pretty loose on there. So I ordered a new extractor.

But what the hell do I know it just seemed loose to me and gave me an excuse to order something else. :wink:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:55 pm

scaleman wrote:I don't think its the ammos falt this time. I but a round on the bolt and went through the motions and it was pretty loose on there. So I ordered a new extractor.

But what the hell do I know it just seemed loose to me and gave me an excuse to order something else. :wink:
Sometimes you just need an excuse to buy neww goodies, you will never regret it, I use the VQ extractor in all of my 22/45's and a couple of my 10/22's.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 pm

If the round or spent case is loose on the extractor then replacing the factory one with a VQ Exact Edge is the likely solution. Your extracted cases were probably falling off or getting knocked off by the magazine feed lips prior to reaching the ejector pin. You will be happy with that new extractor.

R,
Bullseye

CigarSmoker

Re: Mark III Jamming

Post by CigarSmoker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 am

scaleman wrote:Hey I need help from the experts again.

I went to the range today to relax and it seemed that every 15 or so rounds my Mark III jammed on a spent shell. I have used a few differnt brands of ammo and they all seem to do this. The gun is pretty new yet maybe having like 500-1000 rounds run through it. Though this isnt a big deal it is a pain in the butt having to drop the magazine and clear the jam every few minutes.

Any Ideas? :?
I experienced the same situation with my new Hunter last weekend (first time out - 500 rounds fired - several FTE's. Got the VQ extractor on order now & from what I've read here, the problem should be solved! Just hope it's as easy to replace as the detailed instructions link here say it is! (looks simple enough) Anyone here want to share any additional tips or tricks on the procedure that might be helpful??

One other unrelated topic: Scaleman: Your screen-name on here interested me. I was in the scale business also for 24 years before changing jobs!!!!
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
- George Burns -

scaleman

Post by scaleman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 am

I've installed everything and its ready to go but I havent had the time to got and test it all. So I cant tell you if it fix the problem or not. Plus the weather up here doesnt want to clear up snow and cold snow and cold.

On the side note yes I am a scale tech. I love the industry its is very rewarding. I've been doing it now for 7 years. I also love a great cigar.

I am hoping to get to the range this weekend, to test the mods. and have a cigar! If only there was a place as friendly as this for cigars!

PISTOLERO

Mark 111 jamming

Post by PISTOLERO » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 am

Extractor, extractor,extractor. 8) 8) 8) 8)
"When I change the way that I look at things.
The things that I look at, change." D.Dywer