Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Where do You Buy Ammo?

Post by Dwight45 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Guys,
I've just purchased a Mk.III Standard Target pistol. Would you suggest some good places to buy ammo for it other than Wal-Mart? I don't intend to start an argument here, but I know too much about the way they treat their employees to be willing to support them. Of course I like low prices, but I'm willing to spend a little more elsewhere. I've already found Midway and Sportsman's Guide. All suggestions will be appreciated.

tradrick

Post by tradrick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:44 pm

I've been looking at the ones you mentioned.But there's also cheaperthandirt.com and 22ammo.com.I've just been buying from my local dealer.If I ever get around to buying in bulk I'll probably use one of the above online sources.Hope this helps.Tradrick

tradrick

Post by tradrick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:47 pm

rammed

Post by rammed » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:00 pm

You could try the CMP.

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 pm

CMP?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm

CMP=Civilian Marksmanship Program. http://www.odcmp.org/1208/default.asp

Here's a link to their sales programs http://www.thecmp.org/

R,
Bullseye

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

Not to discourage further feedback, but thanks much guys.

tradrick

Post by tradrick » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Well,learn something new everyday.That CMP is about 50 miles from my house.But if what I'm reading is correct the average joe can't buy ammo from them.You have to be affiliated with a club.Or am I wrong?Can anyone buy off them?

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:28 am

Well so far 22ammo.com looks like the best bet. I think I'll also purchase some at the range I use, to help them survive.

I don't know if I'd have the guts to make an online purchase from an outfit called "Cheaper Than Dirt." Ha ha

Thanks again to all.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Cheaper Than Dirt (CTD) has had some customer service issues over the years but here of late there haven't been too many. They've grown quite a bit as an organization and are not a fly-by-night operation anymore. This is not an endorsement for CTD, but they have done OK in the recent past.

Here are the requirements for CMP ammo purchases:
Proof of citizenship, age, CMP-affiliated club membership and competitive shooting participation, and any copy of any license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card required by your State or locality submitted with your initial “Universal” application will be kept on file by the CMP. If any item of proof above has expired, you must submit proof of current status with any subsequent application.
Affiliation can be a membership to a state shooting association (like the Alabama State Rifle and Pistol Assn.) plus any competition related shooting in NRA/CMP/EIC events, even CCL and Hunter Safety course events qualify - if they have live firing portions included in the training syllabus. More CMP ammo/firearms eligibllity details are found here: http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Alabama has a large number of affiliated clubs: Alabama Clubs Check it out, you may already be qualified.

R,
Bullseye

PISTOLERO

Ammo sales

Post by PISTOLERO » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 pm

After scouring the internet for 22 ammo. The only place I recommend is The Armory. They have good prices on 22 std velocity. I shoot Aguila brand. If you are not entering competitions. This is good ammo. If you do not mind paying for shipping I suggest you try them. I recently bought a 1/2 of case 22 std vel Aguila. I had no problems with the ammo. The Armory is a serious outfit and they ship promptly. Additionally, Don't be influenced by the fact that this ammo is manufactured in Mexico it is reliable ammo. I hope this helps. If you do use them let me know. 8) 8) 8) 8)
"When I change the way that I look at things.
The things that I look at, change." D.Dywer

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks Pistolero, I'll check 'em out.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 pm

CMP also seems to accept retired (active?) military. The last time I looked they had some reasonable prices for Aguila and Centurion. I haven't bought any from them. I've tried both Aguila and Centurion (Aguila) and found that neither would feed well in any of my semi-autos. I bought a brick of Centurion ended up shooting all of it from my Single Six. It seemed to want to crud up the cylinders faster than most ammo I've bought. I did get a bit of "smoke" and a delightful (for a chemist) odor of ethylbenzene when I shot it. Shot pretty well, but wasn't worth the trouble.

I suppose the problem is the lube on the ammo. It would either quickly stop feeding or wouldn't feed at all depending on the pistol.

Before buying case lots from CMP, I'd check to see that the ammo worked in your firearms.

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Ah, the sweet smell of ethylbenzene :wink: . I think trying a new ammo in small lots at first makes perfect sense, particularly because I'm about to pick up my first .22 pistol tomorrow. Thanks Greener.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I know some Guy's are hesitant to give good ammo vender recomendations these days. I really appreciate the info because I'm not hording my .22 ammo-I'm shooting it. It's about all I can afford to shoot in quantity these days. As an aside, I seriously doubt .22RF ammo (and Guns) will be affected by the incoming Administration. Just look at California, they don't have any special rules for .22RF Weapons as I recall.