new to me mkII

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gedden

new to me mkII

Post by gedden » Mon May 25, 2009 8:35 pm

hello
My name is Andy, I'm living in the Denver metro area. This is my first hand gun, I also have an as yet unfired mosin nagant. I've shot only once before with a 45 and a 9. So far I love it.

I picked it up at the gunshow of the rockies for 275$ I researched 22's for the last couple of months so I knew that was about as cheap as I was going to find one. No case, 2 mags, and a good bit of crud inside. I had a bit of trouble with the bolt retaining pin. I think that might have been the second time it was opened ever.

I took it to the range last Friday, and it ate every thing I fed it and didn't FTE or FTL!
Anyway I'd like to get it drilled an tapped with the ruger base, and the LPA TPU replacement rear sight, no scope or anything until I perfect my trigger draw, I posted some targets and the pull to the left is quite evident. I was shooting rapidly, around 1 shot per second or two.

10 @ 15' 20 @ 35'

20 @ 25'

20 @ 25'

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

First off, welcome aboard!! You will find lots of kindred spirits here. Looks like you got yourself a very nice one for your first rimfire pistol I am sure that folks more knowledgeable than I will comment on the groups you have shot.
Charlie

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, Andy! You picked up a great pistol. What ammo did you feed it?

For a new shooter, excellent shooting. When I first started shooting, my groups were about the size of an average car door. Assuming you're shooting with your right hand, low left is indicative to jerking the trigger (read more about such things here: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm ). What type of shooting are you interested in?

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum, gedden.

Looks like a pretty good buy on the Ruger and and excellent choice for a first pistol. The stickies in the technical forum have excellent "how to's" for the Ruger.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 26, 2009 6:32 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Andy!

Looks like you got a nice shooting pistol. I might also consider a Ranch Products extended magazine release its a lot easier on the fingers than the factory release. How's the trigger pull? A new VQ Target Sear would lighten and crisp it up some for you.

Are you right handed? How's your trigger finger placement? Where are you touching the trigger with your finger? Is it on the pad or near the tip of the index finger?

If your going to get the LPA TPU rear sight, I'd do that first before getting the pistol tapped for the scope base. You may decide that the new adjustable rear is all you need for your new pistol. There's always the option of having the receiver tapped later for the scope mount.

Have fun with that new pistol.

R,
Bullseye

gedden

Post by gedden » Fri May 29, 2009 5:48 am

thank you all for the nice comments. I really like this forum! I am really happy with the way it was shooting, and happy it wasn't picky about ammo.

I do shoot right handed and I put my joint on the right side of the trigger and then place my pad down, which now that I think about it would cause some leftward motion. I'm going to the range tomorrow so I will post more after that trip. I think I'll start a new thread on trigger control.

I read the link on NRA bullseye, and I think that's for me . I was lusting after some 1911's anyway. That was the first real handgun I shot ever, about 2 years ago(I'm 29). It was a S&W factory custom the range had priced around 900$.

I do wonder if I should trade up to a bull barrel? It's seems to be a competition standard. Are they that much more accurate than my standard model outside of the longer sight radius? or is it more a weight/balance issue?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 29, 2009 6:05 am

There is a thread on trigger control already http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=835

These are other threads worth taking a look at http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4 , http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Having a bull barrel gives you some more weight up front and adjustable target sights. The accuracy between the barrels is pretty much the same, at least I haven't been able to tell the difference. You should keep working with your present pistol and later you can get another if you feel the need. Many folks have more than one Ruger 22 auto.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am

Many folks have more than one Ruger 22 auto.
They do seem to multiply. There always seems to be room for one more. Just can't convince SWMBO that they suddenly appear without my knowledge. :lol:

I prefer adjustable sight .22's because the POI seems to be more affected by ammunition than my centerfire pistols. I like the feeling of being able to control that. How much of that is real and how much is psychological, in my case, is debatable. From the couple times I've fired a standard and watching good shooters with them, I don't think there is any real difference in accuracy between those models and the bull barrel models. When opportunity, price and mood coincide, I'll probably own one.

One of the keys to gaining shooting proficiency, especially with new shooters, is to concentrate on one firearm. It probably holds true for us "experienced" shooters, but I have a number of handguns, like shooting them all, so I also have to overcome "gun ADD."

swoter

Post by swoter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 pm

I like the adjustable sight models also, but I have a fixed sight 50th anniversary model that I can shoot almost as well as the others.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

finger placement

Post by stork » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Andy,
Here's a trick a High Master taught me to check if my trigger finger is placed correctly on the trigger.

Before you insert the magazine and after making sure you have checked your chamber at least twice to make sure its empty, place the pistol into your hand with your non shooting hand. Make sure it is seated deep into the web between the thumb and forefinger.

Drop the bolt (MAKING SURE AGAIN THAT IT CLOSES ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER).

Raise the pistol into your normal firing position while maintaining a proper sight alignment. Place your trigger finger on the trigger and begin your squeeze. WATCH YOUR FRONT SIGHT AT THE MOMENT THE TRIGGER SEAR LETS GO!!! If it's darting to the left move your trigger finger further onto the trigger. If it darts right, pull your trigger finger out more.

These are for the right handed shooter. Port siders just reverse the above directions.

If you're shooting a dot, just substitute the word dot for front sight.

The important thing is to watch what the front sight is doing at the moment the sear releases the hammer. Then correct your finger placement to compensate until the front sight doesn't move. The front sight shouldn't move at all if your finger is correctly placed.

FWIW

I do this before every string of slow, timed and rapid fire.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington