New member saying hi, and wanting to upgrade a Ruger Hunter?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

novakane

New member saying hi, and wanting to upgrade a Ruger Hunter?

Post by novakane » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 am

New member saying Hi, and wanting to upgrade on their ruger Hunter mark III.

I've went through several pages on here, and I'm still alittle confused as what upgrades I should make to my Hunter Mark III. I will first add that I want to save as much money as possible in doing this.

I will add that I want to keep the safety, and I also wouldn't like to modify the mag release. At first I was having some ejecting issues, but that has gotten better with some cleaning and oiling.

So what I found so far is that the Vol..trigger, sear and extractor would be good choices from what most of you say. But would it be better to get the accurizing kit instead? I do know that the above 3 come in the kit but again I'm not sure on what is the best bang for the buck.

Please let me know your opinions as I want to get what is right and what will also make my gun much better without hurting my pocket too much..........

Thanks,
Mike

PISTOLERO

Mark 3 upgrades(minimum cost)

Post by PISTOLERO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello:
Just replace the sear and ejector. I followed Bullseye's advice and had no regrets. The man knows his Rugers. Look at the Volquartzen website they have sears for $15 in their bargain bin. Regards , Pistolero
"When I change the way that I look at things.
The things that I look at, change." D.Dywer

PISTOLERO

Correction

Post by PISTOLERO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Hello: I stand corrected. VQ is selling bargain bin sears for $12. They may have cosmetic flaws but are 100% operational. VQ people stand behind their products. Regards Pistolero

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:32 pm

I just installed one of the "bargain Bin" sears, extractor hook and the disconnect link. I haven't had a FTE now in over 400 rounds and was getting one every 15 rounds, or so. The disconnect link cut the trigger pretravel in half. It was 1/8" and now is 1/16" and I would consider that a minimum for safe latching. The sear gave the trigger a nice light and crisp feel. I also adjusted the post travel screw while I had the trigger out.

I couldn't be happier with the results.

22/45 Mk III
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

novakane

Re: Mark 3 upgrades(minimum cost)

Post by novakane » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi guys, and thanks for the comments. I was going to purchase the sear, extractor, and the trigger...I was mostly wondering if I should by the kit as it's more expensive then the 3 parts I have listed above.

Would I need this disconnect link if I am replacing the trigger?

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Re: Mark 3 upgrades(minimum cost)

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 pm

novakane wrote:Hi guys, and thanks for the comments. I was going to purchase the sear, extractor, and the trigger...I was mostly wondering if I should by the kit as it's more expensive then the 3 parts I have listed above.

Would I need this disconnect link if I am replacing the trigger?
I wouldn't think so. The disconnect link worked in my gun, but maybe yours is different. The trigger should do the same job....maybe even better? It is adjustable. Isn't the kit more expensive than the parts you need?.....and some won't even work in the Mk III as I understand it....so they (the parts that don't work) would be a waste.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

PISTOLERO

Follow bullseye's advice.

Post by PISTOLERO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:59 pm

All you need to replace is the sear and the extractor. Do not waste money on kits. I only replaced the trigger because VQ had a bargain bin sale on target triggers $15. Else I would have left the original trigger. Hope this helps.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I would probably replace the sear, extractor, and the trigger. If you get the VQ trigger you will be able to adjust pre-travel and post-travel and will not have to disassemble to do it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:11 am

The kit has many redundant parts that are not essential for a good trigger pull. Since economy is your goal, purchasing the sear, trigger, and extractor are your best bet and you won't be disappointed by the results.

R,
Bullseye

novakane

Post by novakane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks a bunch everyone for all the comments.....I will get my order purchased in a few days, and will also let you know how things go.

Thanks,
Mike

novakane

Post by novakane » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:39 pm

One last question?...........I recently had 4 out of 10 rounds jam inside the gun. The casing isn't coming out before the new bullet is being pushed into the barrel and it's causing both the jam up together.

Will changing to the adj. trigger, volquartsen sear, and exact edge extractor fix this issue above? I would guess the extractor would cure this issue...........

Thanks,
Mike

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:25 pm

novakane wrote:One last question?...........I recently had 4 out of 10 rounds jam inside the gun. The casing isn't coming out before the new bullet is being pushed into the barrel and it's causing both the jam up together.

Will changing to the adj. trigger, volquartsen sear, and exact edge extractor fix this issue above? I would guess the extractor would cure this issue...........

Thanks,
Mike
The VQ extractor should cure that problem.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Bullseye has a photo on a current thread where there is suppose to be a gap between the magazine lip and ejector. May want to confirm this while your at it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Here's a thread with the picture. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

R,
Bullseye

novakane

Post by novakane » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for all the help!

I have the gun field stripped now.........Should I follow the instructions and use the factory spring with the sear, or use the spring that came with the Volquartsen sear?