Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

1986 MKII Target

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 am

Howdy everyone!
I just recently joined this forum & a few others in the search for info on my Ruger Rimfires..
Last weekend I picked up a fairly Nice MKII Target that's serial # puts it as being made in 1986.. It came with the Eagle Rosewood Grips & the factory panels + One Magazine..
With the factory Parts after a few reworks I'm just not happy with the trigger pull & am considering a Volquartzen Trigger Kit or Sear & Trigger.
I've noticed that the Newer VQ Triggers aren't as wide as they used to be & to me that seemed to make alot of difference as the percieved Trigger Pull was lighter as the force of the wider trigger spread out force required to pull the trigger..
So far with all factory parts I've stoned the sear, trigger bar/disconector, & polished the sear, hammer, disconector, hammer bushing & it made some difference but still has alot to be gained IMO..
The Trigger pull now is around 4 1/2 pounds..
There's a gunshow this weekend & there's a dealer there who has the Volquartzen Parts & Kits, He may not have just the sear or trigger??
I bought one of the older "Wider" Triggers from him many years ago for another MKII that I eventualy sold..
I also need to aquire a few extra magazines & it's looking like the price on them has sky rocketed from about $16 to around $24ea??
On the trigger kit I may just aquire a trigger shoe from a vendor there & the sear "If Available?" or go ahead & buy the complete Kit??
I've also tweaked my sear spring slightly to reduce the trigger pull some.
Thought I'd just say Hello & post this thread & a few pics of My Ruger Rimfires MKII & 10/22..
Still not sure what I'm gonna do on the trigger but will more than likely just buy the entire VQ Kit & install..
It also need a new Recoil spring but a simple call to Ruger in Arizona has one of those coming for FREE..
I had a Volquartzen Extractor bought for my 10/22 & went ahead & put that in the MKII when I had it apart detail striping & cleaning the bolt..
Gary in Louisville KY
Ruger MKII Target 1986
Ruger 10/22 & MKII Target

BTW Headknocker is my handle @ a few other forums & is a 1980s Forigner song with the lyrics " He's Gonna Teach You a Lesson Might Even Show You His Smith & Wesson - Headknocker"
Here's a Pic of my two favorite concealed carry revolvers
The 642 Airweight has been converted to 9mm via Model 940-1s cylinder & now is convertable from 38spl to 9mm via cylinder swap
Grips are Craig Spegel Cocobolo
Smith & Wesson Model 940 & 642/942 9mm Snubbys

stewswanson

Sear

Post by stewswanson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm

If you are just looking for the VQ sear check thier web site. I got mine for
$12 in the bargain bin (old stock).
Stew

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Headknocker & stewswanson welcome to the forum.

Hope you find the sear and trigger your looking for. If you were to remove the mag disconnect by installing a Clark Bushing, the trigger would improve a lot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm

My Pistol is a MKII & doesn't have the magazine disconector..

I've seen the sear in the bargain bin & more than likely the VQ Kit My dealer has would be "Old" anyhow & My factory trigger has the overtravel adjustment..

I was wanting the trigger pull as good as I can get but without changeing the sears angle I'm stumped, That's why I'm now looking to aftermarket parts for my Build..

I'm realy handy & will more than likely today will try an change the sears angle as the gunshow is tomarrow & I'll have to drive 100+ miles in the snow to get there one way..

I'm OK with spending $95 if it'll give me a drastic improvement BUT??

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Is that a factory stock on the 10/22? Resembles the 77/22 stock, except the 77 has sling loops. I like yours much better than the current synthetic stock.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Welcome folks to Guntalk-Online.

You can just get the sear from places like Rimfire Sports and Custom. http://www.rimfiresports.com They have free shipping to US and Canada. The VQ trigger kit has several redundant parts for $100. The VQ sear alone will bring that trigger pull down to a crisp 2 lbs for just a little over $20. You can just use the factory hammer with the VQ sear and get every bit as good of a trigger pull.

The old VQ triggers were dropped as they were wider than the trigger guard and some folks were complaining of ADs. They were not designed to be on carry/field guns just target ones. The new VQ target triggers have the external adjustments for pretravel and overtravel which makes the feel of a Ruger 22 Auto trigger much improved.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm

ruger22 that is a factory synthetic Ruger 10/22 Stock from the mid 90s
I saw one just like it last weekend at the gunshow for $55 BTW..

Bullseye I bought this MKII 2nd hand & can tell that the previose owner/user did some stoneing of the hammer & sear that being said I don't think I can repair what's there, also before I said I thought the trigger pull was 4 1/2lbs & realy it's closer to 6 IMO..
The hammer notch is very ununiformed & also very deep, the sear I smoothed out but the trigger pull is just terrible to me & not as good as most are factory..
They also cut the trigger spring & it was haveing trouble reseting, I had a factory one from another MKII in my stash & replaced it & that trouble went away..
The way it looks right now I think I'm gonna just buy the Volquartzen Trigger Kit with the Hammer, Sear, Trigger, Sear Spring, Trigger Spring & Detent + Extended Slide Stop Lever, I also want a New set of grip screws & a Couple of "New" Factory Magazines..
Also plan on getting a Exact Edge Extractor for my 10/22 as I used the one I bought for it in my MKII Project Gun..
Let's hope I can get everything I need @ The Gunshow Tomarrow..
I've emailed the vendor & he is going to be there tomarrow & has two of the VQ trigger kits in stock for $95..
I'll give a reply tomarrow late after I have gotten back & installed the Trigger kit..
Wish Me Luck!!
Even MKII Magazines are getting hard to find anymore but KY Imports will also be there tomarrow & I'm sure they have several for around $24ea
Gary

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:34 pm

With all that you described, I think that the kit is the prudent way to go. You'll like the trigger once you get it all installed.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks Bullseye..
I can't see any other way to get this thing to work to my specs without at least the Sear & Hammer, The other pieces will be nice but realy unneaded
The trigger will have the pre travel & over travel adjustments but the factory MKII Target already has the overtravel screw factory anyhow..
Lets hope the VQ kit does everything I want..
Gary

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 am

I did aquire the Volquartzen Trigger Kit & Installed it Saturday Night..
I picked it up from Paul Zint @ KY Guns @ The RK/Kenny Woods gunshow in Lexington..
It's better than I expected.. Trigger pull around 2 1/2lbs no creap & very crisp..
I didn't use the extended slide stop lever as it was an OBAMAnation = Very Ugly & was dragging under my Rosewood grips so I just installed the factory one instead..
I'll have to wait a while till it warms up some to get to the range..
I could have bought the sear, hammer & trigger separate but the price was almost the same as the kit plus I also got a sear spring & the extended slide stop lever in the kit..
Also picked up a "NEW" Factory Magazine while at the show for $20..
Here's a pic with the Bananna shaped trigger..
Gary

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I like those grips, finger and thumb rest.
h

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 pm

The grips came on this MKII when I bought it used but feel pretty good to me..
Thier Eagle Grips made of Rosewood..
They show them for sale on thier website for $39.95
http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Ruger-MK ... mooth.html
Note there listing says MKII but the pic is a MKIII..
These grips are hand made in India & sold here in the USA by Rahji

I'm so stoked about the Volquartzen Trigger Kit..
It realy makes the trigger "Break" Just like I wanted, Anything less would almost be unsafe.. It's a Range Gun Only but you never know when the S&W or Glock might not be "Handy"

lund329

Post by lund329 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:38 pm

I love Eagle grips...top notch! I have a set of their Secret Service Rosewood grips for my S&W 686 snub for CCW. Congrats!

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 am

I had a couple of sets of Eagle's J Frame Secret Service grips in the past & were very nice but both my J Frame snubbies now were Craig Spegel's Centennial Boot Grips in Cocobolo..
I don't think I've ever seen a set of Secret Service grips on an L Frame before??
Here's a Pic of my M642/942 & 940 wearing Craig Spegel Boot grips along with my new Glock 19 RTF2 = Rough Texture Finish..
I like these Eagle Grips & they came with the MKII when I bought it but may change to the Hogue Rubber with the Thumb rest, That's what I had on my previose MKIIs, But now I'll have to go to a dealer that doesn't move product much & try an find a set before they started making them to fit the MKIII, I don't want that cutout.. I have an Idea of were to go an look
Gary
Smith & Wesson Model 642/942, Model 940, & Glock 19 RTF2

lund329

Post by lund329 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 am

Very, very nice HeadKnocker... Looking at the pics I found on Lightning Arms Sports is givin' me once again the "I neeed it...." feeling again. Like my "box 'o holsters", I'm slowly putting a 'box 'o grips" together too it seems. Dang....a person almost hates to have to conceal.... Thanks for the heads up.

It just occurred to me....I may need therapy.