New Sight Rail for Ruger MKIII

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

New Sight Rail for Ruger MKIII

Post by cheryld » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Can anyone tell me if the tac sol rail that MidwayUSA is selling( product # 822867 ) will use the same holes that the rail that came with the Ruger use? I have a kydex holster for my Ruger MKIII Hunter and the NcStar red dot is about 1 1/2" too long to go into the holster. I was told to get a shorter rail. I still want to use the same red dot. What about the rear iron sight-Does that atay on? Hope this makes some sort of sense. Thanks in advance

Cheryl

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

The tac sol rail can be mounted but you have to remove the rear sight and turn the rail around. If I remember correctly you can only use two of the three holes and screws. I mounted one on a friends pistol but that was 2 years ago.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:21 am

I have tried to remove the rear sight on my Ruger. The screw does not release the sight. It's like the base is glued to the gun! What am I doing wrong? Again, thanks for all your support. This forum has been invaluable to me since I bought my Ruger. Cheryl

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 am

There should be a very small set screw to the left of the elevation screw. You need to loosed in up. Then the sights is removed from left to right, you tap on the left side. It may be tight and may need a brass punch to keep from marking it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks so much for the help! Cheryl

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 am

HI, I have been trying for 2 days to remove the rear site so I can install my new rail and then I can use my new BlackDog Machine holster. However, it will not budge. I have removed the screws and tried to tap with a punch which even scratched my gun. Will not come off. Please, any help appreciated. Cheryl :(

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 pm

They can be tight. Find some Kroil Penetrating oil and let it soak for a day. Then you need to support the barrel on the right side, so the sight will be free. The sight is removed from left to right. Have someone hold the gun down on the wood block (cover your gun with tape to keep form scratching it), then use a brass punch and hit it using a hammer. Don't be shy hit it good.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Cherly, that receiver tube must be clamped in a firm fixture like a vise. Be sure to use some wooden blocks to carefully cup your receiver to prevent any finish marring. Simply tapping the sight base often will not be enough force to dislodge it. A firm mount, a non-marring punch, and several stiff blows with a good heavy hammer/mallet will get it moving.

Hopefully you've already been here http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm#sight

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't know about your tacsol, but, my weaver I just cut off the offending end and left the sight on....

cheryld
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cheryld » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Unfortunately everyone, I don't have the proper equipment to do what has become a major project. I do not have a vice or anyway to hold the gun. I guess I will have to go to a gunsmith. Thanks for all of your help.

Cheryl

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Cheryld, Why not at your next shoot/outing ask around and see if someone can help you out. You will be surprised as to the help you will receive.

Too bad your not near me, I would gladly help you out.
David

Custom Built 1911