What's your favorite .22 pistol?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

What's your favorite .22 pistol?

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:31 pm

My favorites are the Ruger Mark series. I have one from each group. Mark I, 22/45, Mark II, and Mark III. For me, these are most enjoyable to shoot and tinker with on the workbench.

My match pistols are all S&W Model 41s. Can't beat the smooth feel of the trigger. These have to be the easiest and fastest pistols to field strip.

How about you?

R,
Bullseye

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Too Many Pistols, Too Little Money

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:53 am

Current inventory includes a Smith & Wesson 22A, a Walther P-22 and a recently acquired Ruger MKIII512. In a former life I've also owned several High Standards (the real ones) and a S&W 41. As you can see my finances aren't what they used to be. Of all of them I guess my all time favorite was a High Standard Citation I owned back in the 70's. It was my first serious target pistol. Fond memories recall an absolutely clean crisp trigger and one hole accuracy :D and I refuse to remember otherwise. But I really did like that gun.

I must be the only person on the planet who can't shoot a model 41. I just never could get that gun to behave for me. I bought it used so maybe that is why the previous owner sold it. Maybe it was an anomolie cause it couldn't have been me.

The S&W 22A has actually behaved quite well for me. The trigger could be better but it is decent after having a little smithing done. I just got frustrated looking for a better set of grips for it and any other after market stuff. Nobody seems to be doing anything for this gun. I guess in general they are not well thought of.

The P22 is what it is. It is a fun plinker, light and compact for backpacking, good for playing around at IDPA style stuff without spending so much on ammunition.

And now I've got high hopes for my new MK3. It seems to be very accurate and once I get the trigger behaving I'm hoping to use it for local bullseye competition, leagues and such. If it turns out well I may get a second one as a backup gun.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 am

I must be the only person on the planet who can't shoot a model 41. I just never could get that gun to behave for me. I bought it used so maybe that is why the previous owner sold it. Maybe it was an anomolie cause it couldn't have been me.
Don't feel like it was you with that M-41. There was a period back in the mid 70's to early 80's where M-41s were having quality control problems with their barrels, some just wouldn't shoot right. I had a friend who was convinced he couldn't shoot a M-41, he was a Master shooter too, and I lent him mine. He could shoot mine all day long but his threw bullets all over the place. I shot his and the results were similar. He just had one of those that didn't shoot well.

R,
Bullseye

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 am

Marvel upper on a Dinan lower with a UD4.

Dave C.
Distinguished Master
President 100
2600 Club

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

M41

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:12 am

Bullseye - It could be that the 41 I had was one of those QC problems. I had bought it back in the mid to late 80's. I wasn't aware of the problems though. The 41 had and still has a good reputation. In today's world it is just out of my price range.

By the way the "it couldn't have been me" comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I just figured that gun and me just didn't get along so I sold it. It did have a nice trigger though as I recall.

DWS

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Favorite Pistol

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:18 am

When I was younger I had an old High Standard 9-shot revolver. As it was the only handgun I owned, I became very good with it. I carried it everywhere I went (even to school - it was no big deal to have weapons in your locker back then) and always had a couple boxes of shells for it in my pockets (they cost all of 10 cents then if I recall).

In the 50's I discovered the Ruger MKI Standard and the rest is history. I have owned at least one (and usually several) of every type they made, but vastly prefer the bull barrel varieties.

Now, the only rimfire pistols I own are Ruger MKs and a couple Beretta Neos INOX (for kicks).

Would really love to find a nice High Standard 9-shot revolver, but doubt my shooting will ever be that good again.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:28 am

When I was younger I had an old High Standard 9-shot revolver. As it was the only handgun I owned, I became very good with it. I carried it everywhere I went (even to school - it was no big deal to have weapons in your locker back then) and always had a couple boxes of shells for it in my pockets (they cost all of 10 cents then if I recall).
These are really nice revolvers; and that's a big compliment considering I can't shoot revolvers very well.

My neighbor has one of these HS 9shots with stag horn grips. The grips were cracked so I made him a nice set of walnut smooth grips for his pistol. I'd love to find one of these myself.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:35 am

Dave C. wrote:Marvel upper on a Dinan lower with a UD4.

Dave C.
Dave, I like the Marvel conversions too. They shoot remarkably well. Do you have a Unit 1 or a Unit 2? The only thing I didn't like was the Unit 1's lack of a slide catch. Reminds me of the old Ruger Mark I, and that feature bothered me so much I made a set of special magazine followers to catch the bolt when the mag was empty.

R,
Bullseye

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:03 pm

Bullseye:

I shoot the unit 1. It can be made to lock back by using
stock un modified Colt Ace type magazines but the slide stop
notch will be damaged very quickly. I like to use Cienner
magazines as they feed well and are much easier to load
with my hands. The Cienner mags do not lock the slide back.
Do you have a way to avoid slide damage and still lock the
slide back after the last round?

Dave C.
Distinguished Master
President 100
2600 Club

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Hi Dave,

Actually, I do have a plan to hold the slide open after the last shot on your Marvel. The idea I have is based on the special magazine follower I made for the Ruger Mark I pistol. You can look at that design here

http://guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

A magazine follower of the same style can be made to fit into the Marvel 22 magazine out of aluminum. Since the Marvel's breech face has a steel insert the aluminum tab will not damage it. After the last shot has fired the magazine will catch on the metal tab sticking up and hold the bolt open at that point. All the operator has to do then is manually retract the bolt and lock it open, then remove and reload the magazine. The best part is - the bolt will not close on the empty chamber and there's no worry of a missfire or need to count your shots. There might be a penalty of a few rounds from the magazine's overall capacity but since we only load five rounds in each magazine that shouldn't be an issue.

What do you think?

R,
Bullseye

J57ltr

Post by J57ltr » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:37 pm

I like my Mark2 as well.

Jeff

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by wlambert » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:20 pm

That is my baby. The picture says it all.

A close second is my Contender with the 10" bull barrel.

Next is the Ceiner conversion for the 92FS.

Then there is the Llama revolver, a K-22 look alike. It would be a nice gun, but the grip is too small.

Finally there is the High Standard Supermatic Citation. I bought it from the
BX at Itazuke Air Force Base back in 62. It has been a good and faithful friend but is not nearly
as reliable as it used to be so it spends most of its time on the shelf.

wlambert[/img]
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:06 pm

Bullseye:

I looked at your mag follower and it looks good.
I see no reason why it would not work. If you can make them in quantity
you would have no trouble selling them. I know I would buy them.
Sorry it took so long to respond, I was calling the commands at the
PA state match today, and tomorrow. So far the high score is 2648 but
we have several very good shooters coming tomorrow.

Dave C.
Distinguished Master
President 100
2600 Club

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:21 pm

I think it would work too Dave. I had actually looked into this for the Marvel conversion several months back, I just didn't get around to making a prototype and beta testing it. I know that those followers work im my Mark I just fine. It's not a bolt latch but the bolt is held back far enough to tell that the last round has gone downrange. That for me was a comforting thought because I dislike shooting alibis.

R,
Bullseye

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:39 pm

All--

Gee. My FAVORITE?

Currently, it would have to be my Volquartsen Deluxe Mark II.

Here is a picture . . .

Bullseye, does this new forum mean we get to post all our pictures again? :)

--seal killer