Favorite .22cal handgun

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:17 am

Didn't realize I hadn't responded to this thread.

Favorite? Dunno, what day is it? :D

Most accurate is without a doubt my MK II with all the Clark goodies and the Aimpoint.

A recently acquired K22 gives it a lot of competition in the "sweet trigger" department.

Single Six is hard to beat for just plain fun without blowing through a raft of ammo.

Colt Ace feels darn good in the hand.

Shucks, I love 'em all, it's like trying to pick out yer most favoritist child...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Anchor

Model 41

Post by Anchor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:56 am

Yleefox

I picked up a model 41. Have fitted it with a recoil buffer and shoot only CCI standard velocity. It is as smooth as glass.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 am

I'm going to have to go with the Bob Marvel/Advantage Arms conversion on a dedicated lower. My lower is a Les Baer built up by Toyota. Hammerli 208s is a close second. Then I think a good MkII also fixed up by Toyota, or a good HS or 41

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:11 pm

My fav in the .22's used to be my 1977 Ruger MK I or standard. I just got a .22/45 and I have went crazy over it.

Here's a picture of them together. :)

Here's a picture of it now. My 2010 Ruger .22/45. :D

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Baldy, Welcome to Guntalk-Online

A nice pair of shooters. :D

The TruGlo kind's of over welm the gun but should make it easy to see through.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Blue for the welcome. I got that Clark bushing and put it in. Thanks to all the good advice and Bullseyes photos. Like you said it's about a 15 minute job and improves your trigger pull two fold.

Cheers, to the both of you. :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Let me welcome you to our forum too! Looks like you've installed a few improvements to make one of your favorite pistols even more enjoyable. It's amazing how a few little parts can make the whole experience better.

R,
Bullseye

mwwilkew

Post by mwwilkew » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I've had a Mk III 22/45 for about 3 years and while I've liked it, I never really loved it. After ya'll helped me through some trouble with a Mk II that I bought a couple months ago I realized how easy it is to make some simple improvements that make a big difference. Last weekend I installed a Clark bushing and VQ sear on the Mk III. Now they are both nice shooters and its hard to say which I like best.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Bullseye wrote:Let me welcome you to our forum too! Looks like you've installed a few improvements to make one of your favorite pistols even more enjoyable. It's amazing how a few little parts can make the whole experience better.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks Bullseye for the welcome. I had never pushed a pin on a Ruger until about two days ago, but I had been studying your maintenance photo's up and down for about a week. They made a world of difference in the ease in which the pistol came apart and went back together.

A tip of my hat to you sir, and many thanks for your efforts. :D

Best,Baldy... :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:23 pm

You're very welcome. I used to spend a lot of hours talking folks through those tear-down procedures before I made those maintenance pages. I'm glad that they help give folks the confidence to thoroughly disassemble and reassemble their pistols. The more time people spend working on their own pistol the more time they have to go to the range. My ultimate goal is to promote shooting, and not having to wait on a pistol to come back from repairs allows folks to spend more time out shooting them.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Anchor,

You're going to make me jealous.

Y

SantaFe66

Post by SantaFe66 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 pm

My new fav is a Ruger 22/45 with wood target grips. Modified to drop mags, eliminate the loaded chamber thing and, slingshot mod, and so far, don't have a suppressor for it. Have a number of Majestic modified mags that work very well.

Previously, it was a Kart .22/1911 conversion. very accurate but can't get those anymore has a 6" bbl and excellent trigger, it's a great shooter. Hard to find mags for the Kart so only have one.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:50 pm

This thread is over three years old. I'll update my ancient postings, just to show how preferences can change.

I did rate my Single-Six as my favorite. Once I got my Bearcats, it got sold. They are much lighter, more fun, and I like the loading notch better than fumbling for each chamber of a Single-Six.

I liked Beretta Bobcats three years ago, because I had not owned them very long. They were intended for CCW, but I gradually learned how un-dependable they were, and they went, too. Replaced with a LCR-357.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:45 pm

MY favorite .22 pistol is a Ruger Standard, any MK, though I'm getting partial to the MK III. TJ

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:42 pm

I have three 22lr's that I like somewhat equally, depending on what mood i'm in:
S&W 617, 10 shot, 6" barrel
http://www.proguns.com/smithwesson-617- ... volver.asp
Ruger Mk lll Hunter, 6 7/8" barrel with Volquartsen Brown Laminated Wood Target Grips, and Volquartsen Accurizing Kit,Target rear sight with Hi-Viz front sight.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/11/11/f ... kiii_1005/
Browning Buckmark Contour 7.25"
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 51&tid=422
All three of these are great 22lr pistols, IMO, and would recommend any one to prospective buyers. Plenty of accuracy, plenty of comfort, and enough style for me. The Ruger required some after market upgrades to get to my liking, but the Buckmark has a comfortable target grip, great trigger, right out of the box. Still, both are excellent guns. I guess if I had to pick, being a revolver admirer, I would choose the Smith 617.
Haka