Favorite .22cal handgun

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MGB

Favorite .22cal handgun

Post by MGB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:00 pm

I have a few and I really don't know which could be called my favorite.
I had this old high standard double 9 that was way fun to shoot but on single action you could push the hammer off with your thumb, so I only shot it double action and it had a horrible trigger pull. Problem is I still liked it, but got rid of it. I even took it to a gunsmith and they couldn't get it apart ..... it was a real PIA, but fun to shoot.
Now I've got:
Ruger MkII stainless 6" w/ Tactical Solutions aluminum 6" upper. (good shooter)
High standard Sport King 6.5". (maybe longer)
Browning Buckmark w/ bull barrel. (another good shooter)
Calico w/100 rnd mag (fun to shoot pain to reload)
a couple of little Jennings auto pocket pistols. (not good for much)
Both the Browning and the Ruger are a pain to do a good cleaning job on.

Then to top it off I have a pair of AMT Automag II's. I love the fire ball they put out! Everyone that has shot one of these ends up with a grin that takes at least 3 days to get off their face. I thought my first one was going to be a pain due to feeding issues and jambs, but it turned out to be the ammo. That Philippine stuff has a softer case than CCI or Winchester and it would mold itself to the chamber and not eject. As you know these chambers have those gas pockets in them so the case would (if it ejected) have these little bumps on it. Finally after doing some look'n around about the problem I spent the loot and got some CCI and Winchester to try. When using either of those in FMJ they both work fine......... but the other stuff is much cheaper. (No problem it works fine in my rifles) Occasionally the slide stop tries to work it's way out when I'm shooting. I have to remember to keep checking it.

They all have their times of use and it is really hard for me to determine a favorite. Guess what I really need is another wheel gun maybe in both 22lr & 22m :lol:

What's yours?
Proud dad of a US Marine

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:12 pm

All my .22 pistols are Ruger Mark series autoloaders, at least at this time. I hope to add a S&W Model 41.

BTW, I'm a fellow Marine dad

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Ruger .22 Mark III with upgrades :D

MGB

Post by MGB » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 am

Yleefox wrote:BTW, I'm a fellow Marine dad
Please give your son a big "THANK YOU" from an o'l River Rat....... these days no one knows what that is anymore..... LOL

My son spent 6 yrs in the Corps and now is back home :D Seeing the boys off to Iraq was the hardest day of my life, but greeting the men when they returned was the best..... :D He was a Techy but went there as a SAW gunner on a fire team. I gave the team a bunch of goodies to improve their M16's and as they waited to board the busses at Camp Pendleton they passed a screwdriver amongst themselves installing Hogue grips, and accuwedges, etc..... :wink:
Proud dad of a US Marine

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Mine would be my tricked out SS MKIII 6 7/8" with a Mueller Quick Shot on it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:17 pm

My Favorite 22 rimfire handgun would be my Ruger MKII Target 6 7/8" Stainless with Volquartzen Trigger kit..
Doesn't get much better than that.
Gary/Hk

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Out of all I've owned before and what I have now (listed below in my signature), I guess my favorite is my current Single-Six. The cylinder is a pain to clean (even with the lead removal cloths), and I shoot the Mark III better, but there's something about a SA revolver.

It's a slower process, and you think a little more. Each shot is a deliberate, specific act; not just blasting away like an autoloader.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm not sure I have a favorite. I guess if I were going to take just one out, it wouldn't be the P22. The rest all shoot well.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

-1- Without a doubt my favorite .22lr handgun is my Ruger mkIII 5.5" bull with VQ/sam's up-and-downgrades in it.
-2- Second would be my first personally-owned firearm, the same gun in 6&7/8" tapered target barrel, which is now MrsBFD's target gun (she likes the forward balance, I prefer the correct balance on the 5.5") with the same upgrades. The only difference between the two is balance (slight), weight (very slight), and her trigger has a bit more travel because she likes it that way.
-3- In the middle would be the .22lr/.22mag NAA mini revolver. Fun to shoot, a challenge to keep on target, makes my smile every time I look at it ... pain in the rear to clean and it dragged me into .22mag which hasn't had any real benefit so far.
-4- At the bottom of the list would be the Walther/Umarex p22 ... it has a purpose for new shooters and as a malfunction trainer, depending on how clean it is and what I feed it.

Perhaps the ugly thing KelTec is promising will be added in the future, until then I don't see a need for more rimfire handguns. (after all, I can only shoot two at a time, and only one well!) If they get that PMR30 out in .22mag with a .22lr conversion I'll be in for sure though! Heck, that might convince me to get a Henry in .22mag, and actually stock fodder for it.
The Ruger 22/45 with actual grips would be nice, but I just can't justify the cost when I own two superb pistols from Ruger already ... maybe if a serious deal presented itself.

Centerfire handguns are getting to the point of being too numerous to list. At the top would be the Walther PPS for fitting my hand as if it were designed for me personally, a possible tie would be my new Citadel 1911, although I think I may be bitten by the 1911 bug now ... I'm still drooling over a SA, the question is which one and when?

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 pm

My favorite is a Ruger Mk III Hunter in stainless, with a Burris 2X scope.

ronn

Re: Favorite .22cal handgun

Post by ronn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:10 pm

In .22 I have several Mark II with Volquartsen works and Clark bushing plus a S&W 41 (which is far superior constructed than Rugers). All are accurate with Dots. None are for sale ever. In 1911 my favorite is Kimber only because I feel they offer the most competitive gun for the money. Without any price restrictions, I would probably get a few Les Baers, Wilson, or Browns.

bingd

Favorite .22 rimfire

Post by bingd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 am

Ruger Mklll 678 is my favorite among the fimfires I've owned. A real tack driver; It digests CCI standard or subsonic without any hiccup; around 10K as of this writing. sub-inch groups at 25 yards rested; bushnell trophy red dot sight; No upgrades; Trigger so smooth after 300 rounds in my experience.

Field Stripping/re-assembly a breeze after getting used to it. I couldn't ask for more.. (My debt of gratitude to Bullseye)

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Fav.

Post by Pete D. » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 am

This one: High Standard Victor. Lotsa rounds through this gun.

Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Hard to pick a favorite out of my Rugers (All modified) and my M41 but this one is special to me

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Here's one that Bulleye gave great assistance in working out a minor issue a couple of years ago. I've had rifles that don't shoot as good.