Mk II rear sight change

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mk II rear sight change

Post by Hardball » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:05 am

Oh wow. I just installed a BoMar rear sight onto my MkII bullseye gun. Tremendous improvement over the standard sight. The gun has also had some trigger work and stippling on the grip. If I could just get used to that dang bent handle, I could really like this gun over Marvel and HS. I find it easy to shoot.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:03 am

If grip angle is your main challenge, and you like the 11.5 degree slope of the 1911, then you might want to give a pair of these grips from Clark a try.

They're only $20 here; http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/511.htm

I personally like the feel of the Volquartsen Volthanes on the Mark series pistols better but you still have the 17 degree Ruger grip angle with them.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Self Inflicted

Post by Self Inflicted » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:27 pm

Was that Bo-Mar rear sight specific to the Ruger or would the 1911 one work?

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:40 am

Gil Hebard catalogs it as
Bo-Mar sight BMR for Ruger 5.5" bull barrels

It's not just a drop in. Some pistolsmithing is required. I did not have to switch to a different front sight.

Self Inflicted

Post by Self Inflicted » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks, I just purchased a MKII 6/78 with a Tasco pro-Point. I plan on removing the optical sight in favor of iron. The guy I bought it from doesn't know where the original sight is and I favor Bo-mar over the factory Ruger, as my other Bullseye pistols all have a Bo-Mar Rib on them. When you say some pistolsmithing, will the sight or the pistol need to be adapted ? I would rather not modify the pistol.

Do you have Gill's phone number so I can request a catalog? I know they "don't do the Internet"

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:30 pm

If no modification is desired then maybe a VQ rear sight would be a better option.

VQ rear target sight

A Bo-Mar rear sight requires some drilling and tapping to fit the Ruger tube.

R,
Bullseye

Self Inflicted

Post by Self Inflicted » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Is the VQ more desirable over the factory Ruger target sight? If so, why?

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:02 pm

The VQ sight is a Bo-Mar Clone and operates identically to it.

R,
Bullseye

Self Inflicted

Post by Self Inflicted » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:57 pm

Thank you

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Now I kind of wish I had spotted the Volquartsen sight before I got the BoMar. The BoMar IS a great sight. Leaps and bounds ahead of the Ruger original. But it requires a small flat milled on the receiver over the big take down pin. Then the rounded crown of the pin must be shortened and reshaped. Reshaping to reinstall as easily (or hard) as before is a real pain in the .... But I got it eventually. Also had to file the dovetail to not need a 20 ton press to slide it in. Again success. And it is a great sight.

PS I did not have to switch the front sight to the higher one in the BoMar package.

To further describe what I have done to this MkII - I made up a 3/8 22 rail base for the 1" Ultradot using Leupold 22 rings. Finally a Toyota trigger job and it's a great backup for the 208s.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Mk II rear sight change

Post by Hardball » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 am

Just browsing the old posts, I want to update my opinion on rear sights.
Bomar as stated earlier is a great sight. But no longer made, and if found, needs a little gunsmithing because it mounts over the big pin..
Volquartsen is also a great sight. It mounts forward of the big pin, which shortens the sight radius a bit, but not much. The VQ however has the shallowest rear notch. And is lower in total height. Then a higher front sight probably will not be needed.
Now Kensight https://stores.kensight.com/ruger/ is a great sight. Mounts forward of the pin. Has a deep notch. A higher front sight probably will be needed.

All three sights are great sights. I would go with Kensight for the deeper notch. That gives me a better window the see the front sight.

All these points are based on my bull barrel MkIIs