Mags.....How Many???

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Mags.....How Many???

Post by Baldy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 am

How many mags do you like to have for your .22's? I like to have 5 for mine as that is a box of cartridges. It's just a weird habit I have as I do the same with my other pistols. I also load all the mags before I go to the range. When I get there I am ready to go... :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 am

For bullseye shooting I like to use 6 magazines. This is the number of strings one shoots for a national match course. Individual mags are loaded up with 5 rounds each for a total of thirty shots throughout the match. One could use 4 mags effectively for this course, as during slow fire you have plenty of time to reload the mags after the 10 shot string. Otherwise scoring and loading mags between strings can tend to rush the shooter and affect mental preparedness.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

My approach in having loaded magazines also comes from a Bullseye shooting perspective.

When I am preparing for a CF or 45 match (before the 3 min prep period) I load my 2 slow fire magazines with my long line load and my short line load into my short line magazines. After the 10 shot string of fire, I immediately load my magazines, before going downrange to score.

During sustained fire, I keep 3 loaded with my shortline load. 2 mags for the string of fire and a third loaded in case of an alibi, the third loaded magazine is one of my long line magazines.

For the 22 cal course I keep 3 mags loaded with CCI SV for both long & short line.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Baldy, that's a good reason to have 5. But what about those pesky hundred round boxes :roll: .

Bullseye and Stork, I know you guys have done and do a lot of match shooting, so this is a good question for you. As far as matches go, when firing your 1911s do you guys like to use the old fashioned 7-round magazines? I have read that the non-extended 8 rounders can cause feed issues, is this true, or does it not matter?

Just thought of something, are the 8 rounders even legal in bullseye/NRA conventional pistol?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:18 pm

I don't do any match shooting, but six is my comfort number. That seems sufficient to spread out the wear and tear over the life of the gun, for recreational shooting. I keep them in pairs, and rotate their use. I only use factory mags, too.

For my Mark III, I have six, but also have six spare springs, so that's nearly as good as twelve mags.

For the 10/22, I have seven mags, but one is a clear mag I bought for fun. The rest are black.

For the Bobcats, I have fifteen mags, which comes out to five per gun. I have a Plano Stowaway box that holds twelve perfectly, plus one left in each Bobcat. That's enough.......
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

I use the regular 7 round mags. Since we only load five at a time the larger capacity mags are of no use in bullseye shooting. Reliability is a big reason why I stick with the standard capacity mags.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Georgezilla wrote:Baldy, that's a good reason to have 5. But what about those pesky hundred round boxes :roll: .

Bullseye and Stork, I know you guys have done and do a lot of match shooting, so this is a good question for you. As far as matches go, when firing your 1911s do you guys like to use the old fashioned 7-round magazines? I have read that the non-extended 8 rounders can cause feed issues, is this true, or does it not matter?

Just thought of something, are the 8 rounders even legal in bullseye/NRA conventional pistol?
Ha!Ha! I just reload and have at it again. :lol:

I shoot in a target league at the range and it's 6rds per stage with 5 stages. I use nothing but 7rd'ers in my Kimber. Shooting my puff target loads it has never failed me in well over 7,000rds. Fact I quit keeping track of it month's ago. :)

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Georgezilla,
I don't use anything but 7 round magazines. And yes, the 8 round mags I had did have, gave me an occasional feeding problem that was corrected when I put 7 round springs in and got rid of the 8 round springs.

As Bullseye put it, we don't need any larger capacity than 5 for a Bullseye match.

If I hadn't picked up the used 8 rounders for a song I would have never purchased them new.

Yes they are totally legal for BE shooting, just unnecessary.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

mwwilkew

Post by mwwilkew » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:18 pm

5 magazines are recommended for the SCSA steel plate COFs since you shoot each COF 5 times. You may not use all the rounds in each magazine, but since you shoot til you hit each of the 5 plates it makes sense to pop in a fresh magazine before each string.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:41 pm

I do not shoot comp so I only have 2 for my MKIII. But my center fire have 5-7 depending on which gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 am

At $70 each I'm unlikely to have more than the 2 magazines that came with my Pardini SP.
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Hardball takes 4 mags for a given gun to the match. There are 6 more 208s mags on the shelf, 25 for original HS, 8 total for BM/AA conversion, 4-5 for 41, 8 for MKII, AND A BUNCH of metalform 45acp. Be prepared.

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:38 am

I only have three for my MKII but don't shoot matches etc, Just for Fun..
I'll have to say these 22lr pistols sure are alot of fun to plink with..

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:54 pm

HEADKNOCKER wrote:I only have three for my MKII but don't shoot matches etc, Just for Fun..
I'll have to say these 22lr pistols sure are alot of fun to plink with..
I know just what your saying. I had a couple of .22's in the safe that have laid there for 25yrs or more and not been fired. Friend of mine was selling a .22/45 that he bought in Jan/2010. I bought it and I am having a ball with it and a Talo model the wife got me. I also got the the old MK-I Standard out and I am going to shoot it too. :D