My 22/45 prefers Federal Value Pack.....

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My 22/45 prefers Federal Value Pack.....

Post by cousin jack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm relatively new to Bullseye pistol, cracking away with a 22/45 MKIII and Millet Red Dot with Volquartzen accuracy package. I thought I had settled on Wolf Target and/or CCI standard velocity ammo for competition, but here's a practice RF target I shot today with my cheapo Federal Value Pack......

Dumb question: any reason not to use it in matches? Does the copper wash require anything different in cleaning routines?

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 pm

I sure don't see any reason not to use it. If your pistol performs the way you want it to. That's some good shooting there. :)

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Baldy wrote:I sure don't see any reason not to use it. If your pistol performs the way you want it to. That's some good shooting there. :)
Yeah, but only in practice....I can't yet duplicate it in a match.... "anticipate" the recoil and throw the shot out......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm

If your gun likes it then why not use the Fed Bulk until you start out-shooting your ammo. The only setback you may see is more failures to fire in the bulk ammo. I practice with the stuff frequently and it shoots fine for me too, but I see 1-2% failures with the bulk ammo. I don't clean it any differently then I do with the high-dollar Eley Tenex.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:21 am

I to shoot a Ruger for bullseye, and the cheap ammo can shoot very tight groups. But like Bullseye said with the cheap stuff you will usually have some failure to fire with it, wich is ok for practice but not so great during a match. With the cheaper ammo you might get one box that is great and another of the same brand that has light loads and some duds. Also shooting better during practice compared to a match is not uncommon. I have been shooting bullseye for 3 years, and practice 2-3 times a week, and still shoot better during practice, so your not alone. Some things I wish I would have learned earlier on are to be patient, and try not to think about bad shots or bad scores, just focus on the next shot or next string of fire. Also that is a pretty good target for someone new to bullseye, keep it up and have fun.