What .22 ammo does your Ruger like best?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stewswanson

AMMO

Post by stewswanson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Mine likes Automatch and it even works in my wife's Sig Mosquito.
Stew

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 am

Mine likes Federal Champion Value Pack and CCI Standard Velocity..... it also shoots and feeds Wolf Target well, but I'm saving that for silhouette rifle.....

Actually, I think my 22/45 shoots better with the Value Pack, but I'm so new to the pistol game I don't know for sure..... I might actually try it in my Annies for a cheap rifle practice ammo..... don't know if I can close the bolt on it yet....I know my Anschutz 54 won't close on CCI standard......

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
piasashooter wrote:My Ruger likes almost anything, but I really like the CCI Blazer. It is cheap and shoots as good as a lot of match ammo through my gun. I also have had bad luck with Remington rimfire ammo. I use CCI Standard Velocity during matches, but am considering using the Blazer once all the Standard Velocity is gone, it's much cheaper, and seems to shoot as well.
had a bad run with Blazer ... but I'm pretty sure I got ripped off and sold a brick that had been wetted. So the amazing thing is that it ran at all, I suppose.
I just ordered a case and there coming out of Ohio. Sure hope they don't get wet. I have gone through about a 1/2 case of them with two different pistols and so far no problems. That's why I went for the case. :)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:19 am

Baldy wrote:I just ordered a case and they're coming out of Ohio. Sure hope they don't get wet. I have gone through about a 1/2 case of them with two different pistols and so far no problems. That's why I went for the case.
It was pretty obvious, the inner boxes were all stuck together and had to be torn apart, and after I got that bargain ammo home I realized that I should have checked or asked, seeing as the owner of the shop was griping about the shop flooding right there in front of me.

I highly doubt that you bought a case form the shop that bagged me with junk wetted ammo.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm thinking a better heading would have been "What Doesn't Your Ruger Shoot Well".

Seriously, it's hard to pick a standard velocity 22 that Rugers won't shoot well. I have Ransom tested Eley Red box and Brown box, RWS, Winchester Dynapoints and T-22, Federal Champion, Federal 711, Lapua M and Lapua L, Aquila SV, CCI Standard Velocity-Pistol Match- and Blazer, Remington Standard Velocity, and a bunch of others that don't come to mind right now.

The best I've had so far has been (believe it or not) an older (10 yrs) lot of Remington white box. It grouped less than 3/4" at 50 yards. However I'd never trust it for anything other than slow fire because, as good as it shoots, it still retains Remingtons priming mixture and the dud rate is 5-10%. Totally unacceptable for sustained fire.

My go to ammo for local matches is Aquila SE. For more meaningful matches (Sectionals, State and Camp Perry) it's CCI Standard Velocity. No it doesn't hold 3/4", but it goes off every time. I've run 6-7 cases of it through a variety of 22 pistols and have yet to have a dud with it and it always groups 1 1/2" or less at 50 yards in any good pistol.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm thinking a better heading would have been "What Doesn't Your Ruger Shoot Well".
Remington, particularly Golden Boolits

Stealth01

Post by Stealth01 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 am

UGH, add Remington Cyclones to the list... Horrible performance, no-fire, failure to return to battery, ETC. Immediately switched over to CCIs and the problems all went away...

KRG

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Don't know what's up with Remington. Their .22 and handgun ammo quality has really slipped, and the rifle ammo gets some negative rates, too. Their stuff used to be well regarded.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 am

I have had the best accuracy of the cheaper SV ammos with Eley Sport purple. The best overall is real Eley.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

The most accurate that I have found so far is Eley black box. The purple box Eley is next best but for steel and pins I been getting by with the Blazer.. :)

judgepw

CCI copper plated

Post by judgepw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 am

All my .22's do well on CCI copper plated round nose Mini Mags. Rifles as well, including auto and lever. It seems to me that the copper doesn't foul as bad and it certainly does better on the chamber ramps. Nearly any brand is more accurate than I can shoot and CCI is no exception.
judgepw
Southeast Texas

greener

Post by greener » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 am

My RGB experience was not good. None of mine will load Aguila target ammo. It won't feed. They do pretty well with everything else. I think we do better with Automatch and then 40gr SV from Federal and CCI.