Magazine in Backwards - Thank You Bullseye!

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gunshine

Magazine in Backwards - Thank You Bullseye!

Post by Gunshine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 am

I am a new owner of a Mark III SS 512 Target model that has a story about my first field strip of the gun . . . It only took me 24 hours. :oops:

I was following Bullseye's nicely done pictoral fieldstrip instructions and field stripped the gun very easily. After cleaning the gun and starting to put it back together, I put the magazine in so I could manuver the trigger. Oops, I slid the magazine in backwards. Pressed the mag release and pulled . . . nothing. It would not come out. Added progressively more pressure, still would not come out.

Here's the saddest part of the story . . . I called the LGS, the largest in Tampa Bay, where I bought the gun and they said they have never successfully removed a backwards magazine from a Mark III and that I should send the gun to Ruger for repair. Wow, could that be possible?

The next day, I sent a message to Bullseye about my problem and searched this website. I found Bullseye's reply to another person in my same position. "The magazine is caught on the magazine safety lever" said Bullseye. At that point, I decided to remove the barrel with the magazine in place and sacrifice the magazine. I was able to remove the barrel and sure enough, Bullseye was right, the lever was caught in a slot of the magazine and holding it in place. I pushed the magazine further into the gun, lifted the magazine safety lever and the magazine fell out!

I reassembled the gun easily with Bullseye's fieldstrip proceedure and took the gun to the range. The gun and the magazine worked perfectly. It was not damaged from forcing the barrel off with the magazine in place.

I want to thank Bullseye for this marvelous website and sharing his knowledge with me. It saved me weeks without my new prized posession and $30 or more in shipping. Bullseye you are the best!

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Welcome

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 am

Gunshine - Welcome to the GunTalk-Online forum. The best gun forum on the web. We are all fortunate to have Bullseye's expertise available to us. And there are many other experienced shooters here... willing to share their experience and a few "war stories." So enjoy your 22/45, Be Safe out there and come back often.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Gunshine, Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

Enjoy your new MKIII, they are a blast to shoot.

btw. There is a way to fix the Mag release so it will not hang on it again. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome Gunshine and remember to pay attention to the details? :lol:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Gunshine

Post by Gunshine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Welcome Gunshine and remember to pay attention to the details? :lol:
Thanks, I think that was the problem. I was so stressed out at how hard this was supposed to be that I messed it up.

The second fieldstrip and reassembly took minutes. It really isn't hard once you've done it a couple of times.

P.S. I do have a mechanical background and have owned guns for decades.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

Ruger 22's just have a few eccentricities when it comes to regular maintenance.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Gunshine wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Welcome Gunshine and remember to apy attention to the details? :lol:
Thanks, I think that was the problem. I was so stressed out at how hard this was supposed to be that I messed it up.

The second fieldstrip and reassembly took minutes. It really isn't hard once you've done it a couple of times.

P.S. I do have a mechanical background and have owned guns for decades.
Yes, so do I, but it is a different gun, Just took the fire control assembly out of my 15-22 and reinstalled it, took a lot longer than I figured. But now when the spring kit comes in it will be easier the next time.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 pm

bearandoldman wrote: Yes, so do I, but it is a different gun, Just took the fire control assembly out of my 15-22 and reinstalled it, took a lot longer than I figured. But now when the spring kit comes in it will be easier the next time.
Who was it who said something about state of broke and fixing? What weight spring?

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Bullseye wrote:Welcome to Guntalk-Online.

Ruger 22's just have a few eccentricities when it comes to regular maintenance.

R,
Bullseye
Welcome to the forum. Glad you discovered well-kept secret. And there are a few eccentrics here with Rugers.

Enjoy the MKIII. They are loads of fun.