Recent Experience with 1911 .22 Conversions

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Recent Experience with 1911 .22 Conversions

Post by greener » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

One of my project 1911's needs a sight redo. I got to thinking about a semi-permanent .22 conversion kit. Most get good reviews and the Kimber or Advantage Arms units look good. The last time I looked at a conversion kit I decided that I could be a whole .22 pistol for the price. Still the same, but...

Comments?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm

It's a good way to train without spending a ton on ammo. I'm a believer on having a dedicated frame for the conversion. Swapping over top ends gets to be a pain over time. Plus you can tune the trigger to handle the lighter recoil which doesn't transfer over well to the higher powered cartridges.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 am

I have 3 AA units and 1 Marvel Precision unit. Forget the Kimber as a target unit if that is your intent. Advantage Arms units are very good. For now the slide stop insert is working fine. I did have one stop insert come off from loose screws. AA took care of that immediately. Feeding is perfect and accuracy is very good. Not sure if Bob Marvel will provide barrels only still for the AA. They do shoot exceptionally well. A dedicated lower is advisable. Mine is a ground up build on a Baer frame by Toyota. I find it hard to choose between 208s and the BM/AA conversion for a main gun.

Gunshine

Post by Gunshine » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:20 am

I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 19 and totally recommend it. My 19 gets a great deal more use with the conversion. It installs in seconds and shows no wear after 1200 rounds. The fit and quality are very good. Of course its not as accurate as my Mark III, but it is good for practice with the 19.

Ben B.

Post by Ben B. » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 am

I shoot steel. My Marvel Unit 1 seems as reliable as my MkII, which means that when clean and with the right ammo, they mostly run through a match with 1-2 or problems. Steel matches really highlight the function difficulties in rimfire pistols.

The polymer mags from Marvel are the way to go, if you go Marvel. The accuracy is simply excellent from the Marvel. Mine is now on a dedicated Fusion lower, because I got tired of switching out my .45 uppers.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 am

The Marvel Unit 1 does look pretty good. It's a bit pricey, but seems, by rep, to be the most accurate out there.

I've been doing some looking at just fixing the front-rear sight on my 1911. The Bomar rear needs a front sight that is in the 0.23-0.235" range. When the original came off, the gunsmith put on a 0.180" front. Most modern front sights seemed to be dove tail not tenon. So, it seems my choices for this gun is to remill the slide for new sights, replace the slide, or create a dedicated .22 1911.