Getting uppity.....

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Getting uppity.....

Post by cousin jack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:39 pm

I got a little hot on my last night of .22 Bullseye indoor, blasting away with my Ruger 22/45, Volq kit, Millet Red-dot, and CCI SV, and so, naturally...... I'm now thinking a little about upgrading my equipment, maybe to a Smith 41 or High Standard whatever, or even a Clark Ruger......

My logical self says to me. "Nonsense! You only got a 245 average, fool, and you got a long way to go before you start outshooting what you got!"

My non-logical self says to me. "Nonsense! Who knows how far you can go with better equipment!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anyone else have a similar conversation with themselves? And what do you think

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:25 pm

It couldn't hurt to look for a more expensive pistol platform. However it is much easier to perfect your technique on one style before attempting to gain the muscle memory of another.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:50 am

Jack,
While I would never suggest not buying a new toy, don't be surprised if you wind right back with the Ruger.

Been there done that. Over the last 11 years I have picked up 3 Hi Standard Citations and a Marvel conversion. Like my children I enjoy each and every one. But when I need to shoot my best, I still default to my original 5 1/2" MKII. It doesn't hold as tight a group as the Hi Stnd's or the Marvel, and my x count is never as high as the Hi stnds, but my overall score is always 4-6 points better than the others. And I'll give up x's for less 9's & 8's any day. My shooting of the Citations seem to be representative of what I've read about the S&W M52. You either shot x's & 10's or 6's. When it feels right its a 10 or an x, if it felt just a little off...6 or 7. When I shoot the MKII, even if the shot felt a little off, it's still an 8.

Just my observation.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 am

And a good one, Stork, thanks..... also, good point, Bullseye, as per usual!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 am

You may want to try some better ammo first. CCI is good but Ely is a step or two up. I first I did not think that much about ammo but 22's are very picky when it comes to accuracy.

I have shots a few 41's and they are very nice but I seam to shoot my MKIII better since I did all the trigger work.

I find sticking with one gun helps, jumping around just plays with your mind and throws off your finger timing when your doing precision shooting.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911