Run them wet...

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Run them wet...

Post by Hardball » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 am

Today I broke out my iron sight gun. A long taper target barrel MkII. It's been on the shelf for over a year. It stovepiped regularly until I oiled up the bolt and recoil spring. I have a Volq extractor in it and have rounded the release corners of the magazine. Oil was missing at first. Then it ran great and cleaned most of the T&R practice. Great gun.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Clarity?

Post by Coach1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Good to hear of your success with an "old friend".

But, I must admit I am puzzled by "... and have rounded the release corners of the magazine". Care to elaborate?
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

4570inMD

Re: Clarity?

Post by 4570inMD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Coach1 wrote:puzzled by "... and have rounded the release corners of the magazine". Care to elaborate?
Good write-up and pictures here:

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.h ... vepipe.htm

GC
==================================

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Stovepipe fix reference

Post by Coach1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:35 pm

OK Got it now. Thanks for the link / explanation.

Your URL doubled up on you. But this one works if others want to check it out
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 am

Hardball,
I had a slabside that gave me fits with the same issue. When I took it to a gunsmith buddy to have the trigger done, barrel cut & recrowned he took a good look at it. Turned out the shaft that captures the recoil spring was slightly bent. I must have glanced at it dozens of times and I never caught it. Must not take a lot of bend before it starts mucking things up.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington