Compensator/Muzzle brake???

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Compensator/Muzzle brake???

Post by Baldy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Does a Comp/MB really help the .22 out that much? I just put one on my Ruger MK-III and I haven't shot it enough to make up my mind about it. I admit the WOW! Factor is there but does it really help you out ??? What say you folks??

Here's mine now with the MB.

Image :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 am

Not that much. The extra weight out in front of the barrel helps more to control recoil then the actual venting of gasses with the 22.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 am

Looks good, so it must shoot better.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 am

greener wrote:Looks good, so it must shoot better.
Damn near has too.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 am

Is there a reduction in recoil? Yes.
Enough to make a difference? Very subjective.

I have one of my HS Citation's set up with one that I shoot for open sight practice and I can notice the difference, slight that it is. I could see the use for International Rapid Fire where you start from the lowered ready position, 5 targets turn, then you raise the pistol and shoot 5 separate targets in 5 seconds. For Bullseye, I can't see any improvement. We have 10 seconds for 5 shots on one target... plenty of time.

On a side note, I Ransom tested the above compensator on three different Hi Standard barrels. In every barrel with every ammo tested, it enlarged the group by up to 1/2" @ 50 yards.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 pm

:lol: The Bling Factor is at work for sure. The little bit of extra weight on the end of the barrel does help a little. I sure would like to do a test like Mr Stork has done. That's some good info. Thanks.. :)

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am

Another side note.

About a year ago I picked up a used Marvel 22 conversion unit 1 for a 1911. It also had a steel compensator. When I shot it, I was sorely disappointed in the accuracy as these have a 1" @ 50 yards requirement when sold (when Eley Tenex is used). It shot closer to 1" @ 50 feet. I got to examining it closer and noticed a lot of lead buildup on the exhaust ports. I took it off and looked closely, there was barely enough room left for a bullet to pass through it. I took a 1/2" metal bit and hand turned out an unbelievable amount of lead. I 2-handed it off a bench at 50 feet and it was back to a ragged hole group. I haven't Ransom tested it yet at 50 yards but when I do I'll post the results.

FWIW
Last edited by stork on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Looks impressive, but I suspect the weight has more to do with recoil on a 22 cal.

How does that one fasten on? Does it use the front sight screw or a secondary screw. I hope it does not mar the pretty blue finish.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Looks impressive, but I suspect the weight has more to do with recoil on a 22 cal.

How does that one fasten on? Does it use the front sight screw or a secondary screw. I hope it does not mar the pretty blue finish.
'Til Baldy gets back, most have a screw that goes into the original sight screw hole. I think I see that at the rear of the compensator. There's also an o-ring inside that makes everything snug.

I thought about one for mine, and decided against it because of the weight. The bull barrel is heavy enough, some days.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Looks impressive, but I suspect the weight has more to do with recoil on a 22 cal.

Hi Blue. You just take the old sight off and it fits right over the same screw hole as the original site. I know my shooting partner drools all over that little pistol since I put the Hogue thumb rest grip and muzzle brake on it. :lol:

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 pm

stork wrote:Another side note.

About a year ago I picked up a used Marvel 22 conversion unit 1 for a 1911. It also had a steel compensator. When I shot it, I was sorely disappointed in the accuracy as these have a 1" @ 50 yards requirement when sold (when Eley Tenex is used). It shot closer to 1" @ 50 feet. I got to examining it closer and noticed a lot of lead buildup on the exhaust ports. I took it off and looked closely, there was barely enough room left for a bullet to pass through it. I took a 1/2" metal bit and hand turned out an unbelievable amount of lead. I 2 handed it off a bench at 50 feet and it was back to a ragged hole group. I haven't Ransom tested it yet at 50 yards but when I do I'll post the results.

FWIW
I for one will be looking forward to your results. I am not able to get out as much as I would like nor get to a out door range where I can shoot 50 yds or more. Most testing I can do is at a 50 foot indoor range. :)

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 am

I can state much experience with High Standard Comps. They hurt precision accuracy. They might help functional accuracy with a little less muzzle jump in rapid. But trigger control, and a good grip, weight and balance setup will go much farther for you. The 6"+ slab side or bull barrel MkII pistols recoil straight back for me. No jump at all.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Hardball wrote:I can state much experience with High Standard Comps. They hurt precision accuracy. They might help functional accuracy with a little less muzzle jump in rapid. But trigger control, and a good grip, weight and balance setup will go much farther for you. The 6"+ slab side or bull barrel MkII pistols recoil straight back for me. No jump at all.
More good info. Thanks Mr Hardball.. :)

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 am

It seems like an add on comp might have something to do with group size the way a bad crown would. I wonder if something like magnaporting is a good option, but then you lose the wow factor.
Mark II

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:27 am

Generally lead deposits eventually build up in the port areas and cause erratic gas flow which lead to less accuracy - much like a bad barrel crown would. Keeping these compensators clean from build-up can be a challenge.

R,
Bullseye