S&W M&P 15-22P

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

S&W M&P 15-22P

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Lately, I have been interested in a pistol version of S&W's popular AR style 22 rifle. My son in law bought the rifle and we have had fun with that over the last few trips to the range. So, last Saturday I went to the LGS to check out the pistol version - S&W product number 813000. It was the last / only one in stock. I had read many reports, watched web videos, etc., and all were positive. I put it on layaway and just now confirmed what the store owner told me: S&W has discontinued production. I cannot find any information as to why.

Any of you guys know of this pistol and / or why S&W has halted production?

Here is a URL for reference:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

It is Lonely out here sometimes...

Post by Coach1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 am

It seems my first post has drawn a little interest (reads) but no commentary as yet. So, I thought I would add one of my own.

I made a layaway payment on Saturday and mentioned to the store owner that the only web postings I could find about this pistol were positive. Everyone loved it.. lots of fun. But even the Smith & Wesson site did not explain why they stopped production for a gun they introduced in April 2010.

He said he has no problem selling the gun when he can get one in stock. The S&W quality is top notch as one expects. He thinks they have only halted production because they are driving manufacturing capacity for the rifle version - M&P 15-22. He cannot get enough of those. They are the new "Ruger 10/22"... in an AR style. Everyone wants one.

That made me feel better about my decision to get the pistol. Now I have to keep saving nickels to close the deal.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Anchor

Post by Anchor » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 am

The pistol is not in the 2011 catalog. Quite possible they have a backlog for the rifle. I purchased a standard model and it shot extremely well with any kind of ammo I fed it. Sold that one and now have the performance model with threaded barrel. Have been very pleased with the quality.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A problem worth having?

Post by Coach1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Anchor.. thanks for confirming the web posts I read about the quality of this pistol .. and the fun factor. The S&W website (link above) is tagged as an Archive record. So that is consistent with it not showing in the 2011 catalog.

I think this pistol has a "cool" factor, too.
Has it drawn interest at the range?
Have you resisted adding a front rail grip? ( An NFA violation as I understand it)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 pm

S&W is pretty good about answering customer inquiries; have you tried contacting their customer service about the production issue with the M&P .22 pistol?

R,
Bullseye

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

M&P 15-22P wrapup

Post by Coach1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 am

I thought I woudl follow up on this thread.

I did get an email from S&W customer support. The pistol manufacturing was stopped due to insufficient sales.. in less than a year. That seemed like a fairly narrow opportunity to validate a new product. But even so, I am enjoying mine very much. And as a limited edition pistol, it has a bit of uniqueness. It definitely draws interest at the range. And it is S&W quality.

I added a single-point sling, a Leaper Green / Red Dot sight (removed the std rear sight). a Hogue tactical grip, and a green laser from NC Star. you can shoot it at your shoulder with the Green Dot or off-the-hip with the laser. .. Lots of fun!! :D

Here are some photos. I hope they work
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x34 ... 0_0123.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x34 ... 0_0125.jpg

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:46 am

good looking rig. Looks like it ought to be a fun plinker.

It's funny how some things don't catch on. Better looking than the Kel-Tec
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-22/ which I've seen around, mostly at gun shows.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

post script

Post by Coach1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks, Greener. PARA USA abandoned the 9 MM version of their LTC 1911 for the same reason...another gun I am glad to own and enjoy shooting. With all the interest lately in smallish, conceilable 9 mm pistols, perhaps PARA will bring it in their catalog.