Failure to fire

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 pm

I called Ruger to make sure they got the letter stating the FFL I wanted my gun sent to, and to check on the progress of my repair. The woman I spoke with said she didn't really know how long it would be, but guessed 7-10 business days. I was hoping for less time but what can you do. It has been 13 business days so far, they claim a 10-15 standard turn around time, but I guess they don't all get back that quick. I wouldn't be in a big hurry but the winter league I shoot in starts on Oct. 3, and I would like to get in some good practice before the first match.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I feel your pain. I've had something out with them for 18 business days.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 pm

I talked to Ruger again to day, they said they are updating software and that my gun is boxed and ready to go, but until they get things worked out with the new software, no guns will be sent out. I thought this seemed kind of sloppy for such a big business, they made it sound like it could be a least another week. They also said they are not replacing my frame, which seems strange because that was the part of the gun that had problems, and why they wanted me to send in the gun to them. I hate to say it, but I am starting to dislike Ruger the way this ordeal is panning out.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:34 am

Well, I picked up my gun today, and I was pleasantly surprised, Ruger ended up replacing my whole gun. I don't know why the woman at Ruger told me they just replaced the barrel/receiver, but, they replaced the whole gun. I must say I had doubts about this whole thing, with they way it was going at times, but Ruger really made things right. Replacing the whole gun is more than I expected, and it sure made me happy. Just thought I would share the final outcome.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 am

You and George ended up with new pistols. Glad to hear you're satisfied with the overall remedy. Let us know how it shoots for you.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am

Looks like Ruger is taking care of their customers real well and wants repeat business. From what I have seen they back their products 110%.

Let us know how it shoots.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, I shot my new gun Monday night in a league practice, and it shot great. I had a 199 rapid fire, it felt really good to have it back. This replacement does have a different serial number, if anyone was wondering. I was surprised it didn't have any extraction problems, I left the factory extractor in, my previous Ruger and my Dad's Ruger both needed a VQ extractor to function reliably, but so far the factory extractor is working. I also noticed that the 5.5 bull barrel models now come with a target crowned barrel, like on the Hunter and Competition models. Also my gun has socket head cap screws for the grips, which I like. I hope I don't have to ever send this one back, I didn't feel right without it, maybe I will buy another to have a back up, or maybe that's just a excuse to buy another gun. :wink:

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Sounds good! And do you need an excuse to buy another gun? I know, sometimes wives like to hear a really good one.

The crown and grip screws sound like nice changes. Wonder if that is only on the bull barrels?

I guess the Mark III extractors are hit and miss. I still have my original in, and after about 3K rounds it still works fine, with no visible wear. All the edges are still clear and sharp.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm

I am about 10,000 rounds into my replacement gun from the previous problem in this post, and sadly it is happening again with the new pistol. It doesn't yet look as bad as the pictures of my last gun, but it is clearly doing the same thing, and with time will probably look just like the first one. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear your starting to have problems with the replacement gun. They must be doing something different as there quality is not as good as the older guns. Trying to save a few cents/gun to improve their bottom line. It's a shame they have not figured out it cost more to do warranty repairs.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911