MkII Trigger just barely lifts 2#

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MkII Trigger just barely lifts 2#

Post by Hardball » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:18 pm

....like 2 times out of 6 if I hold my breath.
I put a Volquartsen sear in the Stainless MkII target. Also the bigger tab slide stop lever. No other changes except clean and liberal FP10. The trigger could be a little heavier. Maybe the Hammerli type molyslide I put on the sear surface is a bit too slick.

Should I remove the moly, or is there a way to heavy up the trigger? It is fine otherwise.

I'll put in a Volquartsen extractor as soon as they arrive.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: MkII Trigger just barely lifts 2#

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Hardball wrote:....like 2 times out of 6 if I hold my breath.
I put a Volquartsen sear in the Stainless MkII target. Also the bigger tab slide stop lever. No other changes except clean and liberal FP10. The trigger could be a little heavier. Maybe the Hammerli type molyslide I put on the sear surface is a bit too slick.

Should I remove the moly, or is there a way to heavy up the trigger? It is fine otherwise.

I'll put in a Volquartsen extractor as soon as they arrive.
No that trigger pull is about normal for the VQ sear, have done it to 3 of my MarkII 22/45's and they a;; pull between 2# 1oz and 2# 3 oz. What you got seems to be the way they work out, other than going back to the sock sear using a stiffer trigger return spring that is about it as far as I know. I do not use anything on the surface and mine are just over that 2 pound mark.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Cleaning off the molyslide may give you back a few ounces of trigger weight. Better not to use any lubricant on the sear/hammer surface of a VQ sear.

R,
Bullseye

Catbird

Post by Catbird » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:46 pm

My new 22/45 MKIII has an average trigger pull of 3 lbs. 11 oz. out of the box. It's crisp and feels pretty nice.

Even though this is just a fun plinker for me, I have a hankerin' to install a VQ MKIII sear and see how I like it.

Question: What's the best/cheapest online source to place an order for just the VQ sear that won't hurt me too bad on shipping charges?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:57 pm

Rimfire Sports and Custom. They have free shipping on all orders in the USA.

R,
Bullseye

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:22 am

Sage advice from Bullseye about lube on the sear.
I done it before but no longer do. Its a safety factor.

Ripsaw

Catbird

Ruger MKIII 22/45 Hunter

Post by Catbird » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm

I received my new VQ sear from Rimfire Sports and Custom and installed it (no lube) yesterday. According to my Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Gauge, the weight is now 1lb. 14ozs. Since I will be using this pistol strictly for informal range bullseye shooting, I'm going to leave it 'as is'.

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:22 pm

It's probably a good idea to leave it there. I'm told that the folks who do trigger jobs on the Mk series like to keep them around two pounds and thats where yours is. Officially the rules say:

3.4 .22 Caliber Pistol or RevolverAny pistol or revolver using a .22 caliber rimfire, cartridge having an over-all length of not more than 1.1 inches and with lead or alloy bullet not greater than .23 inches in diameter and weighing not more than 40 grains; barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches; sights may be adjustable but not over ten inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Trigger pull not less than 2 pounds. All standard safety features of the gun must operate properly. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights which project an image on the target. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited.

It'll be fine as an informal bullseye pistol

Ripsaw