Couple of dumb questions, Ruger MKIII, 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Couple of dumb questions, Ruger MKIII, 22/45

Post by cousin jack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:08 am

Good mawning! Here's a couple of dumb ones.....

1. The pin holding the aluminum match trigger (VQ, I think...) in my 22/45 visibly moves around when the trigger is squeezed back. Is this normal, or is the hole oversized or worn? If it isn't normal, is there any fix?

2. I notice on the VQ site that there exists two match triggers for the MKIIIs; one of anodized aluminum and the other of stainless steel. Is one better than the other?

Thanks for your patience! Even after a couple of years, I'm still primarily a rifleman, although the enjoyment this small 22/45 has given me is immeasurable!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 pm

So far as the VQ triggers, I have the stainless one in my Mark III Target. I chose it partly because stainless will wear less than aluminum, both in finish and pivot hole. Partly because it is less curved than the aluminum trigger, which feels better to me.

My trigger pin seems snug in the frame, but mine isn't a 22/45. I'm sure members will be along who have them and can relate to your question.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 am

How much movement do you have? The pin in my MKIII 22/45 doesn't seem to move at all when I press the trigger. The pin in my MKII 22/45 moves slightly. I have the black (aluminum) triggers in both. The triggers in both were installed shortly after purchase. The MKIII was new and the MKII was used. They have been fired regularly over the past 4 or so years. No idea how many rounds. I only count bullets to make sure I have more than enough to shoot.

I don't see a slight movement as an issue.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 am

When you mentioned moving around is this side to side or lateral movement? Some pins do move within the frame from side to side because the retaining spring allows some of this movement within the frame. Side movement will not have a noticeable effect on trigger pull but lateral movement can. Generally though the internal parts of a Ruger Mark series pistol have enough tolerance variances to more than override the tightest trigger to frame fit. How does the trigger feel to you? Does it break well and consistently?

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 am

Bullseye wrote:When you mentioned moving around is this side to side or lateral movement? Some pins do move within the frame from side to side because the retaining spring allows some of this movement within the frame. Side movement will not have a noticeable effect on trigger pull but lateral movement can. Generally though the internal parts of a Ruger Mark series pistol have enough tolerance variances to more than override the tightest trigger to frame fit. How does the trigger feel to you? Does it break well and consistently?

R,
Bullseye
It's lateral movement, but more of a "squiggle" than anything else.... The trigger's okay, but no matter how much I adjust it, there's a bit of creep. I take up the slack and begin the squeeze, but before it breaks, there's just the slightest, almost imperceptible, catch...before it goes off. Sometimes (usually during sustained), I just pull it through and don't notice the "catch," but in slow fire I do..... Maybe I'm just being picky; I have two Anschutz rifles and a Rem 700 with a Jewell trigger. Smooth company for the poor little Ruger to be in!

I went ahead and ordered the SS trigger anyway. What the heck, for a few more points on the line, I'd shoot naked while wearing a propeller beanie! I'll try anything, anything.....! Lol...

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 am

cousin jack wrote: It's lateral movement, but more of a "squiggle" than anything else.... The trigger's okay, but no matter how much I adjust it, there's a bit of creep.
There is something about the Ruger design that you have to leave a small bit of pre- and over-travel for the trigger to reset reliably. Bullseye could give the technical detail.

Nothing in my Mark III seems to be a zero-tolerance fit. I would say there is a tiny amount of "squiggle" in every moving part, though all of it totaled is likely just a few thousandths. Taking up this "slack" accounts for the creep, to me.
cousin jack wrote: I'd shoot naked while wearing a propeller beanie! I'll try anything, anything.....! Lol...
No photos if this happens, okay?........ :shock:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols