Trigger Not Resetting on Model 41

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Lonewalker

Trigger Not Resetting on Model 41

Post by Lonewalker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:17 pm

On a recently acquired Model 41 I have had a rash of failures where the trigger fails to reset after the fired cartridge is ejected and the new cartridge is loaded into the chamber. This problem does not follow a magazine nor particular types of ammunition. I have thoroughly cleaned the the gun and have tried several different return springs. I can make the problem worse by going to a heaveir return spring. The original spring, had a failure to fire rate very close to a wolf 6lb spring and that is about 2 or 3 per magazine. If I hand cycle the slide ejecting the shell the next cartridge will fire correctly. Any help in diagnosing and correcting this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:49 am

When the trigger doesn't reset is the hammer cocked or uncocked? In other words is the slide heavy to pull rearward or is it relatively easy?

R,
Bullseye

Lonewalker

Post by Lonewalker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 am

The slide is very heavy. Much heavier than it is if I load a magazine and manually operate the slide to load the chamber and then eject it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

That sounds as if your hammer is not resetting on the sear properly. Either the hammer or sear could be causing this type of problem. Check to ensure that the sear spring is not bent or installed improperly. Inspect the hammer and sear for any alterations, replace if necessary.

R,
Bullseye

Lonewalker

Post by Lonewalker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm

After removing the sear and hammer for inspection I determined that the sear spring was not as strong as a new one. You could actually feel the difference by squeezing it between your figures. the sear and trigger looked good. Installed the new sear spring and reassembled the gun. Went to the range today and fired over two hundred rounds thru it witn only 1 FTF, and that was due to the cartridge. the firing pin actually indented the casing. Had actually no other cases where the trigger did not reset nor any cases of shell not ejecting. Thanks for the diagnostic help Bullseye.

Happy New Year,

Lonewalker

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 am

A weak sear spring could definitely cause a problem like that one. It all comes down to timing, and a few fractions of a second is all it takes to not work properly. Your tip on the slide being heavy was the clue needed to solve the mystery.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Slow to see this, but I had the same problem with my Challenger II. The sear spring was really weak. New spring, and a new disconnector while I was about it, and problem solved. :)
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle